Model Railroading Books?

N

NP2626

Do you have Model Railroading Books? I know there are many ways to learn about model railroading now-a-days. However, when I got started with my second iteration of messing around with model trains 31 years ago, books that had first been published by Kalmbach Publishers, were still available that were published back when I was a kid: HO Primer, The ABCs of Model Railroading, 101 Track Plans, HO Model Railroad that Grows, etc. etc... I love these books and have quite a collection. I have even bought remakes of originals; or, the newest editions that have been published since I came back to model railroading.

I just gave away one of my most prized books as a Trophy for a Kit-Bashing Contest I sponsored, that I purchased probably close the 30 years ago. I gave it away as I felt the book taught me how to look at buildings as the basis for a different building through the art of Kit-Bashing.

So, I place a lot of emphasis on having books, to learn how to do things and to see what other model railroaders are up to. I also subscribe to Model Railroader Magazine and the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette.

Do you have a collection of books, do you subscribe to magazines; or, do you gleen all of your model railroading knowledge via other methods and if so what are they?

Mark: I think I qualify for all of the above since I enjoy reading and using the computer for information. For me, a hard cover book sure beats a compute screen to relax and gain knowledge from reading about a particular subject. On my computer desk shelves I have books by George Sellios, John Allen, Dave Frary and others and "soft" cover books on DCC, ore trains and an abundance of mags from all publishers.

I also enjoy the NMRA site with their informational videos and the info on MR Video Plus. Some of the older 30+ year old model railroading magazines have a wealth of information even if is somewhat dated.

Don't forgot what can be gained by visiting clubs and other modelers layouts and talking firsthand with other hobbyists.

Greg

PS: I forgot about the bookcase of DVD's and cassets on model railroading and real time railroading.

I don't have very many books. I do have a intro to DCC, and a copy of Track planning for Realistic operations. I have found with some digging all the information, and more is available online.

I do subscribe to Model Railroader, and MRH free magazine, and a forum member. I'm a member of pretty much all the forums related to model railroading, I don't post in most of them, just read through the threads, and gain some knowledge from them as well.

Late to the party again. I learned most of my model railroading from books and magazines. While there was an internet of sorts beginning in the late 80's, by the time model railroading sites were really up, my library had over a dozen books, most all were from Kalmbach. My favorite and one that I still referred to into the 2010's is Track Planning for Realistic Operations, by John Armstrong of course. I have been a consistent subscriber to Model Railroader (26 years), Randy Lee's Model Railroading (1993 until it's demise), and Railroad Model Craftsman off and on. I have an incomplete collection of MRR and RMC magazines from the early 70's until the early 80's when paying for kids took over for a while. I kept a notebook of interesting or informative articles over the years and I still go back and re-read some of them. Most all are still in good condition except for a few that got trashed when high winds (possible tornado) took part of the roof off my old train room during a thunderstorm. I have since added MRH to my reading list in the past decade.

Another of Kalmbach's Books I find very informative is Freight Cars of the 40s and 50s. This is written by Jeff Wilson, someone I really admire. Of course I model the transition, so this book fits squarely in my Wheel House! It goes into the details of car design and parts development such as trucks undersides and brake systems. This era is when the 40 foot box car was king on the railroads, Box cars where wood-outside braced single sheathed, double sheathed and constructed of steel. A great book for referencing, when building freight car kits; or, weathering your RTR fleet..

Last edited by a moderator:

Back