Model Railroader magazine Discount

julienjj

Noodle is good
i was wondering if any of you could give me the link of special discount in MR mag, they usually give two different offer per month, and i would want to "choose" my bonus. The special offer link is on the bottons of those little card that are stuck beetween the pages

I've never seen a discount for MRR magazine & I've been subscribing for about 40 years.
When I started taking it the price for a year was $6.95 & now it's about $45.00 a year.

If anything like this exists. I would actually be intrested in a discount for RMC. I will say though. My gf bought me a subscription through someone at work that was selling fund raising subscriptions and Model Railroader was on the list. She ended up paying the same price as you would through Kalmbach. Its starting to get a little tough to fork out close to 45-50 bucks a year now for that magazine. But I still enjoy it every month.

It was too good to be true - they only accept orders to be delivered within the US, no international deliveries i.e. Canada.

:(

My renewal came saturday for another year & in the envelope was this note;

URGENT WARNING!!
you may be contacted by unauthorized companies asking you to renew your subscription. Two that we are aware of are Publishers Service Exchange & United Publishers Network. These companies are not authorized to represent Kalmbach Publishing Co., & are not affiliated w/us in any way.
DO Not Renew your subscription w/any phone solicitor. Authenic renewals will only come from a PO Box in Milw. or Wauk., Wi. Most importantly, do not give them your credit card info or payment of any kind.
I've found that other subs. companies have a flat rate fee for the magazine plus shipping & that comes out at the same price as what MRR mag. gets. I use to get a good price from Publishers Clearing House for MRR, but I never figured in the shipping charges, which were sometimes higher than the mag. from the publisher.
same w/MRC & others. Sometimes Kalmbach will give you a better price w/a 3 to 5 yr. subs.

Sometimes calling Kalmbach & asking for the "best rate" works too.

And adding to Larry's comment - I recently received an "invoice" from a company in Las Vegas to continue my RMC subscription. My real subscription to RMC ended over a 18 months ago. In very small print was the note that this was not really a bill but a solicitation for a subscription at higher than the going RMC rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this place is legit? I've NEVER seen MR discounted anywhere aside from multi-year subscriptions thru Kalmbach. They have Yachting for $16 and that's a pretty high end rag. Seems too good to be true.

Warning, Will Robinson!! Danger! Danger!
You gotta be an old coot like me to get that one! But if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. They could be fishing for credit card numbers, or you may find yourself on thousands of mailing lists.
I'd be leery.

There is a possibility that these special offter are only in the kiosk release, because every time i bought a copy, they where those little "Suscribe NOW ! and get a free gift !" postcard inside

Heres a side note about this magazine stuff. It will be intresting to see what happens in a few years once publications like Model Railroad Hobbyist start taking over. The pre computer generation of old timers will continue to refuse the technoligy but Scotty Mason was right on in one of his recent podcasts. The writing is on the wall with paper magazines filled with way more advertisements then content and the costly subscription prices. Although, I personally like the ads, with magazines like what Joe Fugate is doing with MRR hobbyist, there is way more articles, most of which are interactive with videos and pictures you can view from all sides. Oh, then there is the price we all know around here. Absolutely nothing and paid for by vendors. I cant think of anything else out there that will kill the printed magazine as we know it.

Heres a side note about this magazine stuff. [...] The pre computer generation of old timers will continue to refuse the technoligy but Scotty Mason was right on in one of his recent podcasts. The writing is on the wall with paper magazines filled with way more advertisements then content and the costly subscription prices.

Well, I think that will be similar to books versus Kindle or iPad. Some people, even computer geeks, love books for the feel of them, the smell of the paper and ink, and / or as collectible items. But you can put what, hundreds (?) of books on a Kindle and toss it in your briefcase. Everybody said vinyl LPs were dead once CDs came out but it seems they are making a comeback among collectors.

Personally, I think a glossy magazine picture can't be outdone by anything on a PC and I started in software design in 1979 so technology hardly intimidates me. Oh, and you also have to have a laptop if you're going to read your MR mag in the bathroom. ;)

<BOT!>

I checked out the magazine site and they do seem legit - you do not have to pay up front and you can pay your invoice by check or money order so you can keep your credit card number to yourself.

Oh, and you can't pass your computer to a friend to read your latest MR news especially if they don't know how to use the computer.

While that is true guys, how much more are you willing to pay for a physical magazine over a digital copy?

Depends on the content and format. I keep scans of track plans and how-to articles online but for "pretty" pictorials, I prefer glossy paper.

Well, I think that will be similar to books versus Kindle or iPad. Some people, even computer geeks, love books for the feel of them, the smell of the paper and ink, and / or as collectible items. But you can put what, hundreds (?) of books on a Kindle and toss it in your briefcase. Everybody said vinyl LPs were dead once CDs came out but it seems they are making a comeback among collectors.
Personally, I think a glossy magazine picture can't be outdone by anything on a PC and I started in software design in 1979 so technology hardly intimidates me. Oh, and you also have to have a laptop if you're going to read your MR mag in the bathroom. ;)

<BOT!>

I checked out the magazine site and they do seem legit - you do not have to pay up front and you can pay your invoice by check or money order so you can keep your credit card number to yourself.

And now throw the iPod into the mix. I have the 160gb. Currently I have about 3,500 songs and 5 movies stored. And still have 92gb left. Last year I flew to Missouri watching "The Great Escape". I didn't even remember I was on a plane.

Just got the model railroader.com newsletter and they are offering 12 issues for $32.95.

Shoot me a PM if your interested and I can forward the info.
Jason

If you sign up for the MR e-mail list, you'll get a few special discount offers per year on some of their products, including MR subscriptions. Most of the things in the e-mail newsletter are fluff but there is an occasional nugget of information that's worth having.

As for paper vs digital, I'm in both camps. I have the last couple of issues of MRH on my Palm so I can read it when I have the odd moment, something you can't do with a paper magazine. OTOH, there's something about really good photographs on glossy paper that's hard to beat. I think both mediums will exist side-by-side for a long time.

Back