Mississippi Tennessee RR in New Albany, MS

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone.

I've been in Little Rock all week and took a short detour to the small town of New Albany, MS on the way home. My original intent was to railfan a bit on the BNSF since I was about to go stir crazy from sitting in a hotel room, but it quickly became apparent that the area offered much more. New Albany is a fantastic traditional small southern town (the kind I favor so much). The architecture and history really caught my eye. The town is also home to the Mississippi Tennessee RR (MTR) which utilizes old GM&O trackage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Tennessee_Railroad They interchange with BNSF (former Frisco) at New Albany. I can't help but wonder about the fantastic modeling possibilities the MTR presents! MTR runs a cool fleet of 50's geeps. What more could we ask??? :) I asked railroad employees for permission to shoot a few photos. They were very kind in allowing it. :cool: I never lose my appreciation for common sense, decent folks. :)

Power on Tap. The GM&O used 1930s Tennessee Coal and Iron rail that was made here in Birmingham from local raw materials. It was a world class product and is still doing it's job here today, almost 80 years later!
2348137525_a0538649ae_o.jpg

Inspection Pit.
2348134815_d407462206_o.jpg

2348134143_0c299632d5_o.jpg

Simply beautiful...MTR 103. :cool:
2348967096_f4fff503f9_o.jpg

Interchange action
2348965446_3c39187455_o.jpg

2348133801_91428f7d31_o.jpg

Idled Warrior
2348965868_2da4e1da5e_o.jpg

BNSF Power nearby
2348969784_a8c1dde1f2_o.jpg

Old GM&O
2348135257_3d6db70e99_o.jpg

2348969354_05273c003f_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about a great find and some fantastic pictures. I especially like the pictures of the inspection pit, nice work Eric.

Talk about a great find and some fantastic pictures. I especially like the pictures of the inspection pit, nice work Eric.

Thanks Carl.

As you probably guessed, I enjoyed a little quality time in New Albany. Interestingly, I met another rail photog there. He shoots historic mines all over the country! We had a few things to discuss... :D:D :D Check out his website. Scott, it was a pleasure to meet you.

http://www.thecoalman.com/

Nice 1970's Paducah rebuilt GP10's and really interesting that there's still some Midsouth (gray&green) power floating around. love that "low budget" grade seperation. I really hope you took more photos of those awesome buildings.

That was great Eric , and to run into another fan that had the same interests ! I noticed that New Albany Wholesale Grocery Co. in one pic. Wonder if they where still in buisness and getting supplied by rail or truck ?

Thanks for the comments.

Does anyone else get a warm feeling over the modeling potential of this little town? Past or present, it would look great modeled. GM&O/Frisco or MTR/BNSF... tough choice!

MW, I'd like to go back and shoot more of the historic buildings. It would be best to do that on a weekend or late in the afternoon after folks have gone home from work...

Paul, I don't think the New Albany Wholesale Grocery Co is in business anymore. While particular attention wasn't paid to it (other than for the shot framing), I don't remember much activity there.

Here are a couple more shots from New Albany.
2348136085_f3a7a188ef_o.jpg

2351004278_5e0636c98a_o.jpg

Hi Eric.Greetings from Mt.Pleasant South Carolina.Well Eric,once again as always,you have put some truly awesome photos out here on the forums. This week-end,I am in South Carolina,visiting my neice,and her parents. My parents and I drove over on Thursday,and I'll be back on Monday.As for the photos,well, AWESOME,COOL,GREAT,Totally Rock. Eric,when I get back,we have to go railfanning again soon. Dude,I wish I could have been there. I'm jealous. William.

I noticed that New Albany Wholesale Grocery Co. in one pic. Wonder if they where still in buisness and getting supplied by rail or truck ?

I noticed the same building. but what caught my eye was the amazing brickwork on that side. Can you believe the number of different faded signs and styles of bricks.

William, Have a safe trip home and thanks for the comments.

Ron, Isn't that a COOL building? It's one of many in New Albany...

Here's a view down the MTR/BNSF interchange track.
2351277174_cdd28f00ae_o.jpg

And one more of the old GM&O. In this view, the bridge is directly behind me and the yard (and diamond crossing the BNSF) is at the end of the street. The trackage behind is soon to be part of a rails to trails project. Anyone up for a short street run?
2348968284_e8b7bc0317_o.jpg

Head lights and track

GrandMan I notice on some of these engines the head lights have been moved to the lower hood. Why is that? Also some thing has to be going on the ground on these siding. I would think the state would make them repair it.

NYC_George

Eric;

Hope you made it to OTM while in LR. Great shop! :)

Since daughter has lived in LR for almost 2 yrs, we get to drive through New Albany on the trips to see her. I have always wondered about the somewhat "rundown" track there. Nice to see its still in use, esp by a shortline that has ties back to the GM&O!

Next time we go to LR I'll either have to stop there or make a special trip there on a weekend. Thinking about LR I guess I'll finally go thru those pix Whit and I took there several yrs ago at the UP yards.

Great shots, Eric. It looks like New Albany would make a great town to base a layout on. That shot down the alley with the tracks is the exactly the type of thing I though about doing with my town but I didn't have the room. Must have been interesting when the GM&O was still running.

That track curving away fron the two units in interchange really does look bad. Is it still in use? It looks like it must be since something is running the rust off the rails. I'd sure hate to be backing a C-C unit down that thing.

George, all those low hood units are ex-IC Geep rebuilds. The top headlight position was usually a Mars or Pyle Gyralite. With the advent of flashing ditch lights and strobes, the Mars and Pyle lights got ditched pretty quickly since they are both mechanincal nightmares. That's why you you see that blank spot between the numberboards.

Grande Man--

What a terrific group of photos. I kind of blinked when I saw the BNSF locos until you mentioned that it was the former Frisco line--then I blinked AGAIN, because I never thought of the Frisco in Mississippi--don't ask me why, but I always thought of that railroad in conjuction with Missouri, Arkansas and Texas.

Broadened my mind, you did, my friend--:D

But then, I live here in NorthernSunnyCal, what would I know, LOL? :eek:

Seriously, that's some lovely photography!

Tom

CJ, I didn't have a chance to get by the shop this trip to LR. I've got a real debacle going on out there that kept me busy. I'd encourage ya'll to stop by New Albany on your next trip. It's Mayberry with some cool RR history!

Jim, George, The track is old but sometimes a lens can really amplify irregularities, especially in the telephoto shots. The age of the track and it's history are what make it so special.

The yard, short street run and bridge would make for a great modeled scene. Building flats along a wall could save some space and still get the "look". Better yet, this might be a good scene to do on a peninsula...

Tom, Yep, the Frisco got around. :D They had a strong presence in Birmingham back in the day... Thanks for your comments on the photos. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Back