"Mission (I hope not) Impossible!!"

Trucula

Drum Driver
Hello All! I have finally started another layout at home. I am the president of The Bricktown Model Railroad in Mt. Union, Pa. We model the East Broad Top and PRR. Meetings are Tuesday night. I am limited to only working on the layout on club nights and sometimes with work and playing in a rock band I don't get to work on it as much as I'd like or my schedule fits. So I needed one at home. I am limited to space after moving into a new mobile home a couple years ago. I have a small room that I decided could be my only area to work with. I wanted to still use the room for some storage and my workbench and desk under the layout so watching some guys here do a shelf layout I thought this was my best route. I moved my work bench into the room and the height of the layout had to clear the top shelf. I added wall shelf brackets to support the layout and also anchored it to the wall studs. I will have a duck-under coming into the main door and a swing-gate to access the closet.
The room is small it's about 9' x 9' room w/ a 2 x 4 ft closet. I know N scale would work better but I have collected HO for years and its easier on my eyes then N. Also 90% of my collection is modern era items.
I built the framework from 1/2"x 3" pine covered with 1/8" plywood and covered w/ 2" foam board. Backdrop wall will have curved corners made of Masonite and covered with cloud wallpaper which I scored 3 rolls off eBay for $6.00. I have been taking pictures along the way and will upload them soon once I learn my new Window7 and camera more.
I love the ocean area and have the Walthers barge and also an old Cox dockside set with the crane for loading truck containers and a convyer belt/ship I'd like to use but space is limited.
I'd like alittle imput on a track plan, last one i built was a small switching layout and just became bored with back-and-forth. I wanted to beable to let them run for visitors.
Shapen up your pencils and give me some ideas!!.. Like I said space is limited and plans in my mind are way bigger than my benchwork.
I will upload the room drawing for help.
Thanks Guys!

Make drop in bench work to span your gaps.
I made one ( no pics yet) to span from my main layout into my work shop. I used 3 Warren truss bridge kits and 2 3 " straight to complete the span.

I found a great vid ( On youetube but forgot the user name) that explains how to wire it up with a plug and play type of connection.

update.
I did find the vid on the lift out.

copy and paste into youtube search.
Model Railroad VLog: Building a lift out bridge: Part 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will check that out.
Kinda wrote the first post quick and before I left work so might have missed some items.
The barge not counting the entrance ramp is about 39" which makes a problem. I thought it would be a good place to bring cars on/off the layout. It could be on a large river. I thought of cutting it down or in half and doing a mirror effect on the wall coming in the main door. Its hard to find an area to place it so the turn radius onto the deck isn't so sharp.
I like the swing gate he has on another thread, I think the angle cut was a good idea to get things to line up everytime.
The duck-under will be made to be removed if needed and maybe hinged later on.
I know I don't have room for a major track plan. A simple oval, a run around or two, and a few industy sidings is all I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any real reason why the carfloat barge can't be against the wall? You could use the outbound cars from the previous session as the inbounds for the new session ( and swap them pre-ops session if you want a change. That way on a 9' wall you have plenty of space to swing onto the next leg. I'm currently building a tiny layout where the "float barge" is simulated off-layout - see http://www.carendt.us/scrapbook/page96a/index.html first layout, and
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3354-jacks-in-or-shortliners-shortline/

I like your idea and will concider that. Thanks! I guess my only reason for being at the edge was for viewing the waterside details. But you have me concidering the wall edge on the 7 foot wall. Either back wall would work for the skyline since it will be all sky.
Love your pages and modeling too BTW!
Thanks for the input!

Hello All,
Getting the computer figured out alittle so will try some pictures of my progress.
(Please ignore the Sponge Bob wall boarder...:D )
#1 Shows wall brackets in place and benchwork started(1st section!).
#2 View in the doorway at completed benchwork with plywood top.
#3 Shows the small valance/shelf added and starting the masonite back wall to curve the corners.
#4 Added 2 in. foam board, and started the backdrop, need to touch up the clouds with an airbrush but most will be hidden by buildings, hills and trees.

I routered the edge of the valance/self. Painted the inside and top a flat white along with wall (sorry Sponge Bob!!). The routered outer board will be stained blue and lights added to inside the valance.

The duck under and closet area bridge I will build to once I am sure of the track plan. I have the basic one in mind but don't want to build the crossing section in the wrong area too early.

Hope you enjoy!!..I'm trying to fit a dream into ring box! But I am liking it so far!

Coming along quite nicely, your backdrop looks great!

Thanks Much!, I have small touch ups to match the seams but it turned out better than expected. Seemed alittle repetitve to me even thou the roll claimed a 26ft repeat, just seem to get the same cloud area when I'd find the next spot that closely matched. But once hills, trees, buildings are in place I think it will break it up somewhat.
Other rolls I got I thought I could have placed sideways on one run but the clouds were too thick. It was like being in a plane on top side of the clouds or a bad overcast.

Couple updated photos:
I removed the blind/curtains and filled in the opening. Then added the sky closely matched as possible b/c I was about out of the wallpaper. (airbrushing to do to blend)
The valance was completed, secured and lights were added. (need to stain trim yet)
Waiting on the UPS truck to bring several eBay wins. (Can't wait to lay some trackage...)
Have @ 2 doz. flex, #6, #4, and Y switches onhand and coming. A few kits to build.

I plan on repainting the ceiling where the kids got a little crayon crazy when the bunkbeds were in there.

Building placed for size compare.

Decided now is the time to make it a dual mainline if ever want to. It will take away some real estate but more trains,....more action. I built the Walther's Cornerstone Art Deco Underpass and figured the best place for it where there are to be 2 straights side by side.
I mostly used 2 in. foam board but this area it was multi layered. I havent glued it to the plyboard yet which was a blessing. This made it easy to take the panels outside and do the cutting and shaping and NO MESS!!(thanks to a windy day!). I also marked what slopped areas I wanted and used a wire brush to do my shaping. It will have a few more trips outside till shaping is complete.
I brushed mostly a 45% angle and a couple cross cuts actually gave it a rock shape and if painted and sprinkled, may look like ground cover.
I located another curved arch bridge (4 total) and now have to find my bridge extentions which I miss-placed somewhere.¿?¿
It will be awhile before I get across that river!

Some more progress. The area under the bridge was cut out for the creek and highway underpass (at the duck-under).
Still working on the bridge supports. Since its 2 side by side bridges that angle the creek and one bridge is offset about an inch, I have to make a combination bridge support. Been shaping foam pieces that will be covered concrete-like.
Roadbed was painted gray and then laid from the overpass to the mainline cross-over and run-around entrance switches. The track was painted dark tan and "start" of it was finally glued down.

so far, very nice. i will not say anything about bridges but i love your background and especially would like to comment on the profi looking lighting that you have going. :thumbsup:

Thanks much! It lights up more evenly in person. My camera kinda makes it look spotty. The valance does alot for the lighting. They are just 24" tubes/fixtures that I got for @ $9 ea. It's a blessing for working on it. Last layout I did I put lighting in last. I am glad now to get double use out of adding it early: Working, then displaying.

Trying to decide the bridge color, weathered silver or flat black? Other?

Back