Might someone suggest some track plan ideas ?

Yes, I was referring to 'GPwrangler' above..I think his name is Kevin. I like it too. One thing though. I believe in HO the wye it shows will have to be allot larger. Perhaps the SCARM plan is for N scale..It'd be nice if I were wrong. The wye in his red drawing looks closer to HO, I think...M

Yes, they're HO Atlas code 83 wyes, which is the same curvature as the code 100 track I believe. Curves in the wye are 17"radius and 40.9 degrees each. The rest of the layout is 18" curves or bigger. I was already working on something in scarm when I came across this thread, so I figured I'd give it a shot. hope it's helpful!

Kevin. So, you're saying the Scarm example is, in HO, going to be the size shown ? That'd be great !! M

Here's my O-Scale 125-foot Folded Dogbone, all contained in a compact 20' x 25' Game Room!

Brakeman Hal
View attachment 30094
010.JPG

Last edited:
whipped up something on SCARM. Atlas #4 turnouts, 3 wye turnouts, and 2 25 degree crossings. the rest is flex track with an 18" minimum radiius
Have been reviewing MR plans 45 years so couldn't help making revisions to the right side of the plan. Is was done crudely in Picasa so it's not from a CAD program. It could be done a whole lot better in a CAD program! It has a 3 track yard & runaround to work trains fo switching. The 2 spurs in top right could be for industries. An engine spur & R.I.P. track would add a little more switching.

Attachments

• GPwrangler Plan.bmp.jpg
    GPwrangler Plan.bmp.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 243
Cajon, that looks great !! And since you have not said anything about whether the wye would NOT work in HO, I'm guessing it IS HO and for my footprint..(I know I need to lay the imagined curves & tail of the wye out on the floor in a 2'x2' box so I'll see it work/ likely tight, 16" Radii [ which is fine for urban/rural switching scene ] ) Thanks much. Haven't begun anything yet due to a present rental situation..Will get back if and when the work starts..M

Don't be afraid of small radius curves. There's a place on the LAJ that has 85 degree curve & a #3 switch. That is 10" R in HO scale. Laid down a 1/4 circle of 10" R & ran an Athearn CF7 & Bachmann ALCO S-2 + 40' boxcar both directions many times with NO derailments!

That's just an illusion, cajon!

From other camera perspectives, you would see that there's sufficient room for pool shots all around the table.

Look at the plan again.

Brakeman Hal

Using the grid as a scale there looks to be only 1' around bottom left corner. You may be able to :squeeze" by, but try bending over to make a shot. No way Jose!

Listen, cajon...there is a 21" space between the corner of the pool table and the edge of the layout. Where do you get that 1-foot clearance, Jose?

I and all my opponents have no trouble making any kind of shot with full-length cues anywhere around the 9' table.

As a retired Engineer who has built many structures and electronic devices, I assure you that I know what I'm doing!

These are my Lightning Machines and electronics lab:

Hal
158.jpg
254.JPG
564.jpg
538.jpg

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 206
On the plan it says "1 DIV = 1 FT" so how do you get 21"? Even that isn't much room to bend over to make a pool shot!

Now looky here, Andy Jackson:

Here's your "1-Foot" clearance: 21 inches!

Even a Fat Man could bend over to make a shot here!

If you had measured the space with a precision rule, you would have seen that the space is 1-3/4 grid squares, which is 21 inches!
Hal

Hal
001.JPG

Last edited:

Back