Midland Valley RY layout

MikeOwnby

An acquaintance requested a video of my layout and the trains running on it, so I figured after putting in the work I might as well share it here also. It's not like this is going to win any awards, but some might find it worth looking at. Half of the layout is still unfinished, the scenery needs work, and I didn't have much luck trying to simultaneously work both a DCC throttle and a camera. Therefore, it's mostly just trains running and various shots of that. No real switching/siding work. Enjoy for what it's worth. I know it's not nearly as great as some other videos I've seen, but hopefully you'll get something out of it.

[video=youtube_share;vsvJQj0P_Pw]https://youtu.be/vsvJQj0P_Pw[/video]

That is an impressive layout you have there. I am assuming that it is N scale or it would take up a basket ball court in a larger scale. Almost mind boggling watching so many trains running together at one time. You have apparently really taken your time putting down reack as everything is moving so smoothly, but I do have a question about having access to areas in the center of the layout. What happens is there is a derailment?

Nice work, thanks for posting. Post as many as you like. I would like to see more of your empire.

That is an impressive layout you have there. I am assuming that it is N scale or it would take up a basket ball court in a larger scale. Almost mind boggling watching so many trains running together at one time. You have apparently really taken your time putting down reack as everything is moving so smoothly, but I do have a question about having access to areas in the center of the layout. What happens is there is a derailment?

Nice work, thanks for posting. Post as many as you like. I would like to see more of your empire.

Thank you for the compliment, and yes it is N-scale.

I did put a 2' square cutout in the middle of the layout so that the center could be accessed. The layout is high enough that it's fairly easy (if not particularly dignified) to crawl under and pop up in the middle. A few portions of the video are actually taken from that location in the middle. Derailments aren't common, so it's not a huge hassle. As you can imagine, though, as I've been adding tortoise machines to the turnouts I've been working from the middle outward. Derailments are one thing, but crawling in there every time you need to throw a turnout is just...no.

Just to explain why I even designed it this way: This layout was me getting back into model railroading after 30+ years being away from it. I'd become re-fascinated by them, and with the vast quality improvements in N-scale since my teen years it seemed like it would actually be a great hobby these days, and it has been. The locomotives run so much better than they ever used to, DCC is a dream come true, and I've loved figuring out the custom paint jobs and wired DCC installs that I've done. There are so many different things to do that even when something starts getting old and annoying, you just switch to something else for a while and it all becomes new again. At the time, however, I wasn't really sure I wouldn't burn out and sell everything. Therefore, it made more sense to put a table in the middle of my shop than to demolish the shop and all its workbenches and shelves in order to wrap the layout around the outer walls (which obviously would be more ideal).

Of course, I still have a long way to go on this heavily-tracked and heavily industrial portion of the layout before I even consider it, but now that I know I'm sticking with it there are plans for the future that do include wrapping around the walls. Not that I'll be doing away with this part of it, but I'm planning to build a small addition that will function as my new workshop and can house the workbenches and tools, while then wrapping new layout sections around three of the walls. I can then have tracks that move from this industrial area through a downtown section, on to the suburbs and into some rural countryside. Much more scenery-intensive rather than this current track-intensive section, with passenger rail that goes beyond just the railroad museum excursion line I've got now.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that's the evolution of the layout so far. Thanks for watching the vid and for the comments.

Actually it's not more than I would like to know. I love to watch layouts evolve. There are a number of members here that have been posting for years and I like to see layouts grow. It took me over 30 years to get where I am on mine.

I was into N scale back in the mid 70's when I built a small layout that could be slid under a bed. When I finally moves home to Montana and built a house I incorporated tha small layout into a larger layout with over 11 scale miles of main line. Unfortunately, back then the locomotives were pretty crappy, not like what we have today. I ended up tearing everything out and moved to HO scale just to get some decent running locomotives.

There is a small group of N scalers locally that have built a modular layout which they put on display occasionally at places such as a library or mall and I can't get over how well the locomotives look and run. Guess I was really in the stone ages in the 70's.

I do know what it is like to try to operate a camera and work a throttle. Not easy.

Do post more videos or photos.

Interesting layout! Please post again, as you complete more scenery! I saw a passenger yard, but any big passenger station planned?

The one word that comes into my mind is impressive, as others have said I would enjoy more post.

Im looking around for inspiration now that im on vecation. Talk about getting some :). Really awsome!

Wow that's a lot of track!
Looks like everything runs pretty smoothly too, do you have a control panel to show switch position?
Love the auto loading facility!

Wow that's a lot of track!
Looks like everything runs pretty smoothly too, do you have a control panel to show switch position?
Love the auto loading facility!

I was kinda proud of that auto loading facility myself, so thanks for that. Plus the railroad museum and its turntable that allows me to legitimately run locomotives from any era.

I do not have a control panel, and in fact most of the outer turnouts still don't even have tortoise motors installed. Obviously I've concentrated on getting the ones that are more difficult to reach done first. I'm intending to use LED indicators actually on the layout for indicating switch position; it's just a matter of figuring out what I'm doing with that. I'd like to just buy something ready-made, but most signals are made for occupancy signaling rather than turnout position and they just don't quite work. I have fabricated a couple from scratch that will work well, but it's going to be a lot of tedious work to get them all made.

Samuel & Greg, thank you also for the compliments. I appreciate it.

Interesting layout! Please post again, as you complete more scenery! I saw a passenger yard, but any big passenger station planned?

There is a passenger station as part of the railroad museum and turntable area. Not really a "big" one, but fairly substantial. But of course it also just has one track and handles one train, since the "museum" and its excursion line is only set up to run one train at a time. In some distant future when I move on to expanding the layout around the walls, I do have plans to build a multi-track station for Amtrak and commuter rail.

Back