Micro Scale Micro Mask ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Out of curiosity I bought a bottle of Micro Scale Micro Mask for my DPM Kits and doing around the arched architecture. What a mistake!

Applying the "Mask" is very easy, used a small paint brush and let it dry, which it did fairly quickly. Painted the area to be painted and allowed that to dry. That is about where the benefits end.

Getting the mask off completely is virtually impossible and is very time consuming. I spent half an hour trying to remove the stuff from a small area on one of my buildings and only managed to get about 75% of it off using the recommended methods given by Micro Scale as well as using a small piece of paper to be used to pull the mask away. All that did was remove the mask in the immediate area of where the tab had been placed. It did not peel all of the mask off as it should have. In the end, the only way I could remove the mask completely was to immerse that area in alcohol. THAT is obviously counter productive.

I spent more time trying to remove the mask than it would have taken me to "tape mask" the area off AND paint as well as removing the tape. If anyone is considering buying this product, think again - you'll have more work than should be needed just to have to patch areas up that the mask has removed.

Finally, I know that using any form of liquid masking tape is fraught with danger and does not perform as well as "proper masking" but this stuff is definitely not worth the money or the time or the likely hood of having to re touch areas that have been masked using it. In short, not a very user friendly or effective product.

Thanks for the reviews Tony and FB. Always good to read first-hand experience. I have considered using it on some HO automobiles, but not after reading this. I just paint all of my DPM windows separately by hand, but I model HO and not N like you do Tony, which I imagine might be real issue for me.

Willie

Painting N Scale can be a little tough, especially things like the DPM windows and arches, the main reason I thought I'd try the stuff. Looks like I'm going back to masking using actual tape. At least I know that works.

I also agree with you that reading something about a product from someones experience is invaluable and, normally, honest. Manufacturers can say whatever they want, but I will believe and buy based on personal experience rather than marketing.

Back