Micro Engineering Code 83 turnouts

I hate plumbing - that's why I enjoy model railroading - taint no plumbing. :)
Wiring is not so bad - just take is a small piece at a time - something about eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
It sounds like you are running DC - "block control"?
If so, hopefully some of the DC gurus will jump in here. It's been too many years for me to remember much about a block control operation.

Are you committed to DC? If just setting up the layout, perhaps consider DCC. Years ago, I was operating a 3 cab DC layout. Jobs, kids and other distractions put it in a box for about 30 years. A couple years ago I dragged it out after hearing a DCC steam loco the the LHS. Ebayed all the old locomotives and picked up a Digitrax Zephyr and that steam loco. It was a little expensive getting started but well worth it. The wiring was difficult initially but after it sank in, it is really very easy. This is my experience - the most important thing to remember is to enjoy it!!

Are you committed to DC? If just setting up the layout, perhaps consider DCC. Years ago, I was operating a 3 cab DC layout. Jobs, kids and other distractions put it in a box for about 30 years. A couple years ago I dragged it out after hearing a DCC steam loco the the LHS. Ebayed all the old locomotives and picked up a Digitrax Zephyr and that steam loco. It was a little expensive getting started but well worth it. The wiring was difficult initially but after it sank in, it is really very easy. This is my experience - the most important thing to remember is to enjoy it!!
This is exactly the kind of response I hate on any forum - person comes on asking a question and another person takes the topic into another area that was never a concern to begin with. Either stick to the topic or don't post. Maybe the OP doesn't want to get into DCC - I've been in this hobby since the 50's and still run DC cab control with absolutely no interest in DCC. If I want to work with a computer I'll do Photoshop instead - I have no need to bring it into my hobbies.

Jack - sorry you hate my response - with your 60 years of DC experience, maybe you can answer his original question that so far has not been answered. Its been hanging there for 2 days waiting for your expertise,

Jack - sorry you hate my response - with your 60 years of DC experience, maybe you can answer his original question that so far has not been answered. Its been hanging there for 2 days waiting for your expertise,
I don't get on the forums as much because of other commitments but here's my answer:
I know the early ME stuff was power routing and somewheres a little while back they went to something called DCC friendly. See this page on Alan Gartner's site: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_ME_BK.htm. If they are as described in the first part they are not power routing. If they are liked described in the second part, then they are power routing and if the mods described are not done precautions have to be taken when connecting two turnouts frog side to frog side. An insulating rail joiner would have to be placed in one of the rails to prevent a short. Not an insurmountable deal, just something to be aware of, particularly in a layout with more than a single passing siding. Single-ended sidings are no problem with power routing turnouts.

My ME turnouts are of the power routed variety. DCC is a great innovation, don't get me wrong, it's just more expensive than my disability check can handle. To make things simple for me, the blocks can be shut off by merely turning the turnout to the diverging route. I can only BE in one place at a time, so being able to run more than one train at a time is a moot point.

What I do is merely switch train X as necessary, take it to staging, then switch train Y and repeat the process until the day's 'work' is done. Am I making a mistake here? Power routed turnouts make things simple. I just isolate a train between two turnouts until I am ready for that train to make its debut onstage.

Power routed turnout will work fine for your limited sort of block system. The only problem you may run into is when the turnouts and throwbars start to age, you may find power will make contact on the route you want dead and send your train off into space. I'd still isolate the sidings using a gap and a simple toggle switch rather than depend solely on a power routing switch.

Back