Memorial for Justin's Coal Loop

chessie_system3

This is the memorial for my layout that was taken down this past weekend as it fell apart on me and we'll all attempts to save it failed. I had some good operating sessions on this layout and we'll it was sad to see it go but it was time to leave the sacred sheet behind. I hope y'all enjoy the shots I have of it. Also take into note that bench work can make or break a layout. I found this out the hard way. It took three years for my lack luster bench work to show itself.
b031e5cc4ba175d0da133a5cf361bcdd.jpg
4a10bce222161c8cacfc2b8ee505bdf5.jpg
bce5cc159d92bd2075c2c353a7d3a018.jpg
3fcb9d7473cf2fa2766d5bb84fe26914.jpg
464a916e241838ee8c9ffbbe4ac089a2.jpg
a109af3abe34fb4662739a219903cbd0.jpg
c7d436130ca1378c6c747c9efbd697a5.jpg
44cbba3c6c07442208b300ab28e48bfa.jpg
a8a1aea0cf156f976a2868bd4a7062fd.jpg

Justin

Awesome looking. I'm now very glad I took a year on the bench work before I laid any track. "As below, so above" was drummed into me during the research phase looking at other layouts. Bummer, dude, but NOW you can do it "right"...right? LOL

Awesome looking. I'm now very glad I took a year on the bench work before I laid any track. "As below, so above" was drummed into me during the research phase looking at other layouts. Bummer, dude, but NOW you can do it "right"...right? LOL
For starters I can do my bench work right the first time.

Justin

Justin, the most important thing is not to rush. Take your time and get things done right. When I built my last yard, I took extra care laying the track as it is far frome the edge of the layout and then backed trains through the trackage countless times looking for any rail problems. Apparently I did things right as the only time I have a derailment is when sombody forgets to throw a turnout in the right position.

Nice memorial, JUSTIN!
I have watched your layout from afar! Seriously, DUDE, you crammed a lot of railroading into a 4x8 space.
As Chet and others have said - Just Take your Time .... the old saying that Rome was not built in a day still holds true.

Justin, I feel your pain! I went thru a similar experience with my previous layout in November 2009. But now I'm so glad that I took the plunge and rebuilt.

Yeah I'm with Ken as well, just starting a new sectional layout as we're thinking of building a house in a year or three.
Every layout we build is simply a lesson for building the next one!

This is the memorial for my layout that was taken down this past weekend as it fell apart on me and we'll all attempts to save it failed. I had some good operating sessions on this layout and we'll it was sad to see it go but it was time to leave the sacred sheet behind.
That looks like it was a nice layout. I love the old B&O scheme as well as the simplified one.

The first layout I razed was in 2003. A fellow from the club decided to switch to model ships. Also that year I razed my own n-scale and O-scale layouts. Very sad. Since then I've tried to move or at least save parts of at least 6 layouts (not all my own), and all attempts have been miserable failures. The one that did actually make the move (it was designed in sections) is still sitting there since 2011 with about 30 pieces of track bridging between the sections that need to be replaced. Much harder than it sounds since they had ballasted all the sections. I think I will always build with the thought that it will some day be taken down.

your old layout doesn't look bad. Keep us appraised of the situation with the next layout. Nobody builds the perfect layout the first time, unless they start out in their 40's or 50's, perhaps, but not usually. Congrats on graduation to your next layout. Based on the photos, the next one ought to be pretty good. A good foundation will help make it a successful layout.

Back