Membership in the NMRA verses the Number of Model Railroaders in the U.S.

Gerry Leone talked a little bit with me, about the fact that membership seems to be in a state of flux at the NMRA. He feels that the main organization: NMRA officers and Regional Presidents, have come up with successful campaigns bringing new members to the organization. Once the new members are handed off to their Divisions, that is where the ball is dropped! Some Divisions do a great job of retaining members and are very active and some Divisions lack organization; or, may even be languishing due to a lack of effort on the Divisional officers part! Also, as is my case, the drive to a Divisional meeting for some members, is simply to far to go!

I have found that doing the Job Mr. Leone gave me has given me more interest in being involved in the NMRA. I also feel that we should look at membership in the organization, costs $45.00 and not the $75.00 which includes the NMRA Magazine, that I have alluded to in the past. Then, the fact that the NMRA has a Partnership Program that gives discounts to members of the NMRA, which makes paying for my membership very easy to digest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that doing the Job Mr. Leone gave me has given me more interest in being involved in the NMRA. I also feel that we should look at membership in the organization, costs $45.00 and not the $75.00 which includes the NMRA Magazine, that I have alluded to in the past. Then, the fact that the NMRA has a Partnership Program that gives discounts to members of the NMRA, which makes paying for my membership very easy to digest!

Mark: One thing that is obvious about the results of this thread, is that some pre conceived notions about the NMRA have been changed, and that perhaps it deserves a third look. Thanks for sharing your conversation(s) with Gerry Leone. They were very enlightening.

Boris, Yes, the "Pre-Conceived Notions" about the NMRA; or, for that matter, any organization today, are interesting! I am as guilty of spreading half truths and whole fictions, as anyone. I believe my miss-construed facts come from an unwillingness to hunt out the truth; partly because I want to believe some of the garbage I've been told and partly out of pure laziness! The facts I have just related, probably will not keep me from spreading rumors and lies in the future. However, considering the change in heart I have recently had about the NMRA, it certainly is a lesson in carrying out some due diligence before spewing out crap!

Back