melted black wire track

otiscnj

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose the problem I'm having wiring up my layout.

Using Lionel Fastrack.
Red wire to center rail, black to 1 outer rail
track configuration is 'figure 8, with 90 degree crossing piece, divided into 2 blocks.
ZW transformer

Problem:
When train enters 2nd block, engine stops won't restart, and 'black wire' insulation melts back to terminal block, underneath layout.

Melted 3 times so far.

Haven't found anything shorting track, and no wires under layout touching.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on? Could it be a bad piece of track, or terminal block? Should I test every piece of track? There are 3 switches in the figure 8, but they have no track attached to the other track, besides the side I'm using to complete the figure 8. Could it be the crossing-its in the block where the train runs, however.

thanks in advance.
Carl

Is this a recent occurrence on normally functioning track? New track configuration? New loco?

Normally you would need a reversing module on a figure 8 (I am ready to be corrected). It sounds like your loco is shorting the track.

Using Lionel Fastrack.
Red wire to center rail, black to 1 outer rail
track configuration is 'figure 8, with 90 degree crossing piece, divided into 2 blocks.
Where is it divided into the 2nd block? Is it blocked on the center rail or the outer rails, or both? How are you powering each block? There is only one ZW right?

Problem: When train enters 2nd block, engine stops won't restart, and 'black wire' insulation melts back to terminal block, underneath layout. Melted 3 times so far.
Haven't found anything shorting track, and no wires under layout touching.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?
Despite that you haven't found anything shorting the track, if there is only one power supply it has to be a short. Do you have any accessory feeds in there or is there only track power? A diagram would be most helpful.

Could it be a bad piece of track, or terminal block? Should I test every piece of track? There are 3 switches in the figure 8, but they have no track attached to the other track, besides the side I'm using to complete the figure 8. Could it be the crossing-its in the block where the train runs, however.
Yes it could and the crossing would be my first suspect. The turnouts second. However, take it systematically. Undo all the track past where the event first happens. Does the train run onto that one first track? If so add the next track and try again. Eventually you will add the track that is causing the problem.

BTW - three rail track does not require any special wiring for reversing loops for track power. The center rail is always the center rail. However if the outside rails have been isolated for accessories this rule of thumb does not necessarily hold true as then the two outside rails become different again.

Last edited by a moderator:
A figure 8 shouldn't need a reversing section.

I used the crossing previously, and had no problems with it. I figure it must be some sort of short, also, however if it is, I haven't found it yet. I've used several engines, and non will move or light when I apply power.

Back