Meanwhile back at the car shop ---

Aerojet

Well it has been awhile, but this project moves forward.

This is now a couple of weeks into the thing -
IMG_0608.JPG

Most of this is anchored down, from the bed, which is the last thing which gets anchored, towards the right. All of that is in place. what is left is to complete the "office" and that area. // /// Of course there are the hoppers to put in, and lots of other details which need to go someplace on the unit. that is part of the finishing work, and right now we are trying to get the car somewhat done.

The black lines on the side indicate where the windows line up. Try fitting the thing i ended up with walls in the middle of the window and that looked goofy. Adjust to suit and move things around. That stupid "orange" Walther's goo line is still there but won't be seen after the roof goes on.

Of course there will be a final paint touch up job, there are lots of little things which got messy, but in the end it will be okay Just the final finish.

Today that last part on the left gets anchored in place, the rest of the office equipment is ready to install, and then the trucks get put under the car -- couplers added, then the lighting, the original Walther's 033-717 2 bulb kit goes in. Last thing after the car side is put on will be the tail gate grills.

The car says "BUSINESS" on the side so there should be an office inside someplace. I was going to put it up in the dining room area, but with looking at my very original car back in 1972 I did it the same way ...

DSC_1142.JPG

This was built in a Riviosi car. My first attempt at this type of stuff. It was built with a Walther's 7808 kit, and has the paper walls and all. Most of the rest I added as I felt need to get put in. This car is 89 feet long v/s the 7808 above which is 60 feet long. It is amazing what you can add in another 30 feet of car.

The Aerojet

Last edited:
Nice work! Did you make the details yourself, or did they come as part of a kit? If kit form, can you provide details? I have a few cars I'd like to do this with.

Ian - a bit of everything! First off I have been buying stuff from Palace Car Company. This kit is #9499 Structure Interior Assortment. That gives you a lot of stuff which goes inside, like most of the living furniture. The office stuff is Preiser # 17184 - HO scale office interior. Mix and match as needed - the rest like the bed, the safe, and other fittings like most of the kitchen was made up from pieces of strip wood. You would need to go back to the days of Walther's kits, see my post on this section on Passenger Cars, to see some of the old catalog sheets.

A trip to the hobby shop will provide you with a ton of pieces of strip wood. From 1/8 x 1/4 to 1/4 x /1/4 and larger. Saw to suit, paint and install. Plastic pieces are made from the same type of stock. Again figure what you need and go for it. A base sheet if you need it is 1/16 balsa wood, or a piece of plastic sheeting like that. It comes in 3 foot lengths. This can also be cut up to use for walls. Those are normally cut to about 7 foot height, or about 3/4 of an inch or so - again look at what you are trying to do and adjust to suit.

Other things like mirrors are made again from a left over piece of sheet wood, coated with aluminum foil and then glued in place.

One thing, this is assembled with Walther's Goo. Get it at your hobby shop. This is a rubber based model cement which holds like iron and can be reworked with effort if needed.

Beyond that - you need ideas on how to do it. Train Shed Cyclopedia # 8 and #21 are good references for car interiors. 8 is from the 1931 Car Builders Cyclopedia, and 21 is 1943 Car Builders Cyclopedia. Both are all passenger cars. Lots of pix and floor plans and ideas up the ----- .If you can find them, it is Newton Gregg / Publisher. They originally came from Walthers - so - I am not sure if they are still around. Walther's also published at one time a car builder book, from which this "office" plan was extracted and fitted to the company car.

The floor plan from one of the books is shown below --

floor plan.jpg

The bottom one is what I am trying to build in some fashion. With of course my own adaptions to what I want.

The next thing you need to do is to start to investigate how your cars come apart. It may not be as easy as it seems. Some the roof just comes off, others the body separates from the bottom. Which ever type you have you need to start planning how you will get the interior in, and somewhat lined up with the windows.

Electric is next - you need pick up wheels to get power from the track, and if you are running DCC, that is AC power, so figure how to include a rectifier in your wiring to put flashers and other effects which need DC into place. Also how will you run wires? Inside the car? Under the car to which point? And then up -- how? Removable roof? If you wires run to the roof, you need to plan on some slack to remove the roof.

If you need more info, let me know and I will try to provide more information.

Lastly - this project will look goofy if it isn't to some sort of scale. You need a General Tool # 1251 Model Railroad Reference Rule. This will give you HO / S / and O gauge. For N divide HO by 2.

Good luck! YMMV

The Aerojet

Back end done, side on -- this is moving along after the weekend work session ...
IMG_0609.JPG

AND outside of the clean up - that is about all this wrote except for the running gear. Stay tuned!

The Aerojet

Back