Matchbox or Hot Wheels trucks and 1/87 trucks

Which truck would you rather use?

• 1/87

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • Hot Wheels or Matchbox

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Well some of the trucks are passable but other than the Hot Wheels 1/87 cars the rest are much too big. There are some die cast cars that are close to passable, I don't know if they are hot wheels or not. I did collect some that I considered close enough but with the HO cars available from Wal Mart I've decided not to use them

Willis

Matchbox has two utility trucks (! Ford and 1 GMC) that are spot on HO scale.They also have a Chevy mid 70s t0 mid 80s that has a very usable cab for use with a Athearn,Boley,Herpa chassis.Matchbox also has an International
CXT pickup that works very nicely for HO.

Back in the late 60s MATCHBOX also had a Ford F800 tow truck and a Dodge tow truck and dumptruck that were spot on.

Hi Catt, That's interesting information, guess I'll do a bit of looking around especially in my son's Hot Wheel collection (considering he's 40 now there's a good chance I'll find something) now I do believe it's in the basement somewhere.

Willis

Hi Catt, That's interesting information, guess I'll do a bit of looking around especially in my son's Hot Wheel collection (considering he's 40 now there's a good chance I'll find something) now I do believe it's in the basement somewhere.

Willis

You son's old Hot Wheels cars are going to be more along the lines of 1/57-1/64 scale.

I believe the 1/87 Hot Wheels are a fairly recent addition.

Rotor

Quote= Catt
Back in the late 60s MATCHBOX also had a Ford F800 tow truck and a Dodge tow truck and dumptruck that were spot on.
Hi Rotor, guess I'll be looking for those trucks only. I've bought some of the new 1/87 Hot Wheels cars at our Wal Mart, so far they haven't had any trucks.

Cheers Willis

If the Dodge wrecker Catt mentioned is the yellow and green BP tow truck, I have that one sitting in my Matchbox dealer counter display. :) It's also too large, but not as bad. I think it's 1/72.

Matchbox wasn't very consistant with what scale they produced models in. Many had the scale cast into the chassis.

I'll try to get a pic of mine next to an HO mid 70's Dodge model I have on my layout tomorrow.

Mathbox did have some vehicles that were closer to HO scale. I have an army medic van that is very close.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge fot yourself :D

match1.jpg

Matchbox Dodge - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -ATLAS Ford

match2.jpg

Matchbox Ford - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -ATLAS Ford

I've beem searching for the Matchbox Dodge dumptruck ,and finding them all over the place but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay those idiotic prices for somthing I plan to modify anyway.

Great work there. I'm working on turning an old matchbox ford power company truck into an MOW truck. I just need to replace the wheels with some more realistic ones from Herpa.

You mean this one? :D It has been so long since I did this conversion that I'm not sure who made the wheels,but I think they are A-line.I thought it interesting then and I still do that a simple whhel/tire swap could make a toy into an acceptable model truck.

2fords.jpg

The yellow cab is of course the same truck with the cab mounted on an Athearn chassis.This one has Herpa wheels & tires on it.It has since been repainted again a rusty brown colour.

Some FYI if you don't already know it.Athearn still has these chassis's available through Horizons.

Recently found these on the right-hand side of the pond!
The tanker is Matchbox and came from a Charity shop (says 1:80) but close enough!
Centre one just says Matchbox and the red one says Hotwheels. Last two found in local shops
Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands of Scotland

dscn1167bj6.jpg

dscn1166ea0.jpg

I also have some other equipment on the short wheelbase Peterbilt chassis, but couldn't think where I had put them away carefully
Suddenly thought of where they were hiding!
Every tractor you see here came from my charity shop and were all the equivalent of 20 cents each (one still has a lable on the roof!), bought over a couple of years of course. Most have a few paint chips and "dings" from their prevcious owners and could do with new exhuast systems

Jack,
I've reworked more than a few of those wee beasties you have in those pictures.Some only needed a decent opaint job and a wheel/tire swap and some got cut up and donated their cabs to an Athearn or Herpa truck frame.

With a little careful shopping around you can find all kinds of diecast truckcabs that work out very well for HO scale trucks of all sorts.

The Matchbox truck is a 1963-64 Dodge D-200 PICKUP truck with a conversion wrecker body. It's not a semi-type cab, but I guess you could emulate a "big" wrecker, but the cab is wrong for a semi cab.

Heck, the bed measures over 8.6 feet wide!

Heres a pic of the Matchbox wrecker sitting beside the HO scale 77(?) Dodge D-200.

MVC-488F.jpg

MVC-487F.jpg

MVC-486F.jpg

Rotor

Back