Making Videos

If you have a tripod USE IT!!!
Steady camera work is very important.
Shaky camera work is done by beginners.
Plan out EVERY shot.
THAT is what professionals do.
Cheap phones LOOK LIKE cheap phones!
Make sure you have decent lighting.
DO NOT waste every ones time with a "Cab Ride" where you push a flatcar with your stupid camera on it around your layout, ESPECIALLY if your track work sucks!
Have a point to every video.
THINK about what you want to show and for how long.
Don't have a bunch of background noise in your recordings.

DO NOT waste every ones time with a "Cab Ride" where you push a flatcar with your stupid camera on it around your layout, ESPECIALLY if your track work sucks!

These are the types of videos that I really like! How do you suggest this type of video be done, if not a "stupid camera" on a flatcar being pushed around the layout? I don't think I've ever seen one where track work was a big issue. I'm sure "Sucky" track work videos are out there: however, I haven't seen any. I also expect that everyone has to start somewhere and being proud of what you've created is a natural occurrence. There should be a huge difference in what a very experienced videographer produces and what someone new to the activity produces. I don't need to be quite so critical! However, the rest of your points, do make sense!

I'm sure Y3a isn't referring to the type of video NYC_George has posted. I, too, enjoy those. But I do know what he is talking about. I've seen a couple (and stopped after a few moments so I can't give links) where a GoPro is set on a flat car, and literally, pushed by hand - rocking side to side, jerky starts and stops, odd camera angle, etc. Basically, all the flaws you started this thread with.

Frankly, unless you run G Gauge or similar, I can't see any other way of mounting a video camera on a train other than on a flatbed or similar and push it around. The biggest issue with that, I think, is people not securing the camera firmly to the car thy are using and watching it waver around, that is annoying.

I'd also suggest the main purpose of doing Cab View Video's was to show the entire layout from the trains perspective, which I don't think takes much planning.

Do a test run before videoing to make sure your train is going to make it around the layout in one piece. Nothing much worse than watching a cab view just to see the thing derail, for what ever reason.

If the purpose of doing a video is to "show off the layout", there is no need to constantly talk through out the vid. A picture (video) speaks a thousand words. Sure, have an introduction (a short and to the point one) but don't ramble on all the way through the thing.

Most people who do video's of their layouts are not professionals so to expect every video to be of a professional quality is a little unrealistic.

The camera on the flatcar doesn't show your scenery very well. Its a beginner gimmick.
Many times the camera is too close to the track so everything is a blur.
Setting up photo blocks is a better way of showing off your layout.
Record just 4-5 feet at a time with mid distance to camera....ON A TRIPOD!
Follow the train over the layout, setting up each shot to show off the layout and engine weathering.
It's sometimes OK to add music, but make sure it matched the era of the layout. Obscure music is a detriment.
Erase and re-shoot all the poorly done attempts for each scene.

Y3a, how about the many of us, right here, right now, who have stated that we enjoy these types of videos, even though like you say, they may not show the layout to it's best advantage. Our opinion is that it is not a "Beginner's Gimmick" and something that many of us, enjoy. My suggestion to you would be that you pass these videos by and let those of us who enjoy them, enjoy them!

I understand that you may have some experience in making professional videos. However, just because you have, doesn't give you the right to be so critical!

Here's a good cab ride video on an outstanding model railroad. I had the opportunity to have visited it years ago when only the first part was built. Geroge's work is nothing but OUTSTANDING.

[video=youtube;l3SbNMvoyaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SbNMvoyaE[/video]

Not many ways to make a cab ride video without pushing a camera around on a flat car. At out club they have a dummy F unit with the camera lens in the lower headlight the locomotive. Unfortunately, it is an old Athearn unit decorated for the Northern Pacific but totally in wrong colors, with the locomotive in green. During open houses that have the video going to a couple of TV screen around the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is indeed an outstanding video of a great model railroad, the F&SM!!! After watching the video over again I will not worry about access on my layout after seeing how close all the details are on this layout. I am certain George has a few "gopher holes" for layout access like my layout.

Details make the layout and a cab ride is an excellent way to showcase a model railroad.

Again, thanks for sharing the video and F&SM with the Forum members.

Greg

Y3a, how about the many of us, right here, right now, who have stated that we enjoy these types of videos, even though like you say, they may not show the layout to it's best advantage. Our opinion is that it is not a "Beginner's Gimmick" and something that many of us, enjoy. My suggestion to you would be that you pass these videos by and let those of us who enjoy them, enjoy them!

I understand that you may have some experience in making professional videos. However, just because you have, doesn't give you the right to be so critical!
My point is to give you all some insight. I didn't mean ANY of this to be critical, just stating facts from MANY observations. I'm making these comments so your videos won't look like everybody elses, but better than that.
A twist on the camera on a flat car would be to use a front surface mirror at a 45 degree angle and go a little more slowly past areas of high interest.
When you do a shot with the engine and train going by, make sure you can see the whole engine & tender, or most all units in a diesel consist, so pull away from the tracks some.
Close up, unweathered cars look like toys, no matter how detailed and well done they are.
If you have fleets of hoppers etc, make sure you don't put all the hoppers with the same # next to each other.
Dust your models and buildings before the shoot.
Make sure you don't have multiple shadows around your models.
Painted, sitting figures are your friend!
When shooting a single scene, make sure you populate the area with cars n trucks if appropriate.

There are intentionally focused videos to capture specific areas of our hobbies. Some folks like shots of scenery from the people on the layout perspective. Other folks just like the over all camera perspective that shows the entire layout. Still others like the track side passing train shots.
I like to see long videos of some of the very focused things of trains, i.e. pacing a single locomotive (real one) that is dead heading for 20 miles or pacing next to a scale steam loco so the side rods are visible and the mechanics of them can be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODS4hFoOJ94&index=54&list=UUiT4uS3Ib4Y_yLNQMHJAGhg

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, I think George Selios has surpassed John Allen as far as being the leading Model Railroader! Yes, they are two different style modelers, George is an urban modeler extraordinaire and John was a mountain modeler extraordinaire. However, they both did fantastic jobs at cities, John his Great Divide/Port Cityscape and George his Franklin and South Manchester cityscape. If you bought one of George's F&SM Kits, then you helped pay for his railroad! Although I always wanted one, I always felt that F&SM Kits were to rich for my blood. However, in my opinion, I think George has edged John Allen out of being in first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a 'scrap reel' I put on Utoob.
I was experimenting with trying little details or special paint effects to fool the viewer.
This one has some orange glitter in the ash pan of the engine.
As it goes by, the glitter flickers in the light.
I'm testing different angles of the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMOheyKsi-4

Also on Utoob, I have "Blue Ridge climb" with syncronized sound to a normal coal drag leaving Roanoke, Va.
In front is a Norfolk & Western Y6b.
In back a N&W A.
The sound used is from Mobile Fidelity LP "Ghost Trains"(out of print for decades).
There is also an M class video. Unpainted loco. So I did it in sepiatone and it has sound recorded by famous photographer O. Winston Link. All cars are correct for the early 1920's.

Back