making Digitrax locoNet wires

railBuilderDhd

Greetings guys,

As many know now I'm getting on with the home layout and because I have Digitrax equipment already and the local club I'm a member of use Digitrax I will use Digitrax on my layout.

My question for the moment is about the do-it-yourself locoNet wires. Can I used cat3 or cat5 wires with the ends changed to the RJ12 connectors? Would the wire in the cat 3 or 5 cable work for locoNet? I figured since the current is so low and the cat cables like the telecom cables I should be able to use them.

Let me know if anyone knows if this will work.

Thank you.
Dave

I got a crimper tool off ebay that was about $10.. It wasn't the top end but I figure it will be a good way to start. If I paid the higher end cost of the crimper I can just get the cables and not need a crimper. That's kinda what I was thinking. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I also have a friend from a module club that has a good one so if I need I'm sure I could get his help.

Thanks
Dave

I agree with Ken, a club might use a crimper a lot but an individual will only use one a couple times.
I just get the phone company guys to crimp mine when I need some, they're usually happy to help out.

I got a crimper tool off ebay that was about $10.. It wasn't the top end but I figure it will be a good way to start. If I paid the higher end cost of the crimper I can just get the cables and not need a crimper. That's kinda what I was thinking. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I also have a friend from a module club that has a good one so if I need I'm sure I could get his help.

Thanks
Dave

As long as it's metal. There used to be plastic ones out there that weren't worth spit. You'd ruin more connector plugs than the tool was worth! I think I paid around $15-20 for mine, and that was years ago.

The one I purchased was metal and I figured it would be ok. I know I'll use it little for the home layout and a few times for module building but that's all.

Dave

Back