Making a programming booster?

k4kfh

After extensive problems programming my TCS decoder (problems I have not had with ESU, Digitrax, and even Bachmann...but that's another story) I talked with the TCS support and was told to buy a programming booster. I have a Digitrax Zephyr. I looked at buying a booster, but they're around $50 and that seems a little much. If I understand these boosters correctly, it's basically a normal DCC booster that supports a smaller current rating. If they do anything special for programming, I'm not aware of it, so someone please enlighten me.

That being said, has anyone had any luck building one of these? I've seen DCC boosters for the mainline built with H-bridges, and that's a pretty affordable way to do it. I've got pretty good soldering skills and I have some perfboard and basic components on hand already, so can I build one of these things?

Insight appreciated.

After extensive problems programming my TCS decoder (problems I have not had with ESU, Digitrax, and even Bachmann...but that's another story) I talked with the TCS support and was told to buy a programming booster. I have a Digitrax Zephyr. I looked at buying a booster, but they're around $50 and that seems a little much. If I understand these boosters correctly, it's basically a normal DCC booster that supports a smaller current rating. If they do anything special for programming, I'm not aware of it, so someone please enlighten me.

That being said, has anyone had any luck building one of these? I've seen DCC boosters for the mainline built with H-bridges, and that's a pretty affordable way to do it. I've got pretty good soldering skills and I have some perfboard and basic components on hand already, so can I build one of these things?

Insight appreciated.

I don't think they can be considered a low current DCC booster.

For reading back CVs on the programming track the command station has to be able to sense the current flow to the decoder.

A typical DCC booster is not going to provide for this.

While I have seen many designs for DCC boosters I have not encountered a design for a programming booster.

But I would not be surprised if there was something out on the 'net.

Frederick

I have a PTB100 and power supply I got when I had a Zephyr. I don't use it any more since I got a system that doesn't require a booster. I'll have to make sure I still have it, if I do, I'd take $25 for it, shipped in the US.

Back