making a diarama

Ok I want to make some sort of small diarama type set up, some thing small and portable for use when its time to take pictures of my trains or display them, something that I can use with any type of loco (non period specific) and some wagons and coaches as needed, since I have never done such a thing I have many questions as can be packed into a parcles van...I have been searching around and looking at various set ups and layouts for ideas, even the usual google search and still I have more questions then answers...first question is"Where do I even begin?!?!?!" I am sticking to HO/OO scale since I have a few engines already.

The main use for this will be just for taking pictures so it needs to be big enough for the largest made locos but small enough to toss into the closet on a shelf for storeage reasons and transport reasons (want to take it to shows and things also...

So any help you all could provide in helping me start this and figure this out would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
The July 2012 issue of Model Railroader magazine had a great article on backdrops. It used digital pictures of desert and mountains and printed them on large sheets of paper that were then applied to backdrop supports.
Makes me want to read the article again.

A couple member in our club built a small display for a meeting at work to show what they do outside of thier job to keep sane.(they are prison guards)
They build a 3 ft by 1 ft module showing the step by steps to build a detailed layout...starting with benchwork to details as you looked across the module. It was built with 1X3 boards with some braces. then a layer of 2in foam board and gradually progressed till complete
Another member custom paints/sells on ebay built a small photo area to display and photo his models. It was built same way except it had a backdrop wall complete with his home business logo and overhead lighting.
You basically build a mini module of 1X3in boards, and 2 inch foam and decide what area you want to module. You can add rock castings, a bridge, water, trees, shrubs, and grass. Buildings can be added if you want to model that type area but just have to choose one that would fit all time eras. Backdrop is optional because you can also take photos outside using natural backgrounds.
Keep in mind when building whats longest length you expect to ever photo or display.
You'd be amazed some of the models in here are only a foot or less wide.

Back