Major Industry

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
What is the major industry on your layout?

For my layout it's a coal mine, that supplies coal to a power plant. The actual trackage continues throug the mine tipple and on to the power plant. This will allow me to put empties under the mine tipple and take full loads out. And with the power plant take the empties out and push the full loads in.
aae.sized.jpg

Cheers Willis

Looks like some serious modeling going on there, Mister! What a wonderful space. My outdoor RR would fit in there! :D

My main industry is logging, but the trains might handle some agricultural products from the farms closer to town as well.

My main industry will be lumber, with grain loads coming in a close second. Then for variety, an agriculture supply company will take a variety of cars. A plant that makes things out of plastic could be a late addition, depending on space left on the layout.

Greg

None, but I have more manufacturing (metalworking, actually) businesses than anything else. Since my layout is relatively small, I went with a whole bunch of stuff to provide more operational switching interest.....

Kennedy

Looks like some serious modeling going on there, Mister!
LOL, don't know about the modeling but it sure is a mess. Not as bad now, but I'm running out of places to put everything, and when I find one I forget about it and what I put there. :D
I'm also looking at a bit of lumber shipping, materials to the mine, a winery, and some smaller industrys to have a bit of action since the coal trains are units and not broken up. It will most likely be up and running by next month and I've been doing a lot of re thinking about the operation. There's also a fish packing plant at the harbour so there will be reefers to be serviced and loaded. Hmmm! have to do some more rethinking.
Cheers Willis

Hi Jeff, this " Cascade Wharehouse " what is it? I mean is it storage and distribution for manufacturers ( lumber products ). I've seen pictures of the cars with windows but it's unheard of around these boondocks. Sure looks like a traffic generator to me.
Cheers Willis

Cascade Warehouse is an outfit that has taken advantage of the pullback of the railroads from the boondocks.
Basically, wood product plants that are no longer serviced by rail (because they could not ship enough to make their tracks pay) ship materials by truck to one of the Cascade Warehouse reload facilities, the main one of which (Salem Industrial Ave) is located next door to the Labish Interchange between the BNSF/P&W and UP tracks. By aggregating all of these shippers, and being located on the mainline, Cascade Warehouse is able to make shipping by rail a continuing economically viable option. And yeah, it's a traffic generator. It will be on the model RR as well.

Ah! A winery!!! What a great idea for my farm. The Husband would like that. :D I guess I could still have animals there, too. Maybe a play area for kids to visit while the parents are tasting the vino.

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the explaination, now I know. Yes that would make a great Model RR industry. I have a Road to rail transfer building down stairs I'll take a photo of later today. It's not a wharehouse just Truck to rail transfer of goods.
Ah Claudia, another wine lover :) , yes I make my own but not far from here there is the Jost Winery that makes ice wine ( grapes are picked only after the frost removes the water from them). I have a model of a winery that I'll take a photo of also, it wouldnt be too dfficult to build one from scratch.

Cheers Willis

Mine major industry is textile. In addition, since i am modeling the upper part of New Hampshire, i have a lot of LCL deliveries. Meaning that a car can have more than one destination point in the area before returning to the Yard.

Meaning that a car can have more than one destination point in the area before returning to the Yard.

Hi Bob, never thought of that one, and that brings to mind the old " Team Track " which was quite popular in days gone by. I have a area close to the tunel portal that I was kind of thinking along those lines.

Cheers Willis

I have an open spot on the switching part of the layout, so I stuck in a spur and put in facilities for a team track. Has a small storage building plus a platform to unload flatcars, besides the requisite office building to handle the paperwork. Track can hold two cars.

Kennedy

When you model the 40's and early 50's it was quite common in the area. Hence I have at least one team track in each town.

Well here are some links to the photos, click on the pic for the big view.
This one is the truck to rail transfer, looks like it will hold 4 Boxcars. Dust is from storage, I had these a long time.
This one I believe is the Winery
and this one is a Brewery I think.
and while rooting these out I came across this lovely. All I need is some paint to take the plastic glitter off, a few details and i have my sawmill :D this really made my day, you should see what I was contemplating using.

Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW What space you have...can I move in?

CB&CNSfan said:
What is the major industry on your layout?

For my layout it's a coal mine, that supplies coal to a power plant. The actual trackage continues throug the mine tipple and on to the power plant. This will allow me to put empties under the mine tipple and take full loads out. And with the power plant take the empties out and push the full loads in.
aae.sized.jpg

Cheers Willis

Willis,

Great space to work in...you are the envy of many of us.

Regards,

Hi Bob, well the upstairs is her's, BUT! the basement is mine. If I had it to do over again that far wall wouldn't be there either. Don't envy me, your's will most likely be finished a long time before mine will. :D

Cheers Willis

My major industry is to hard to figure out. I have so much industry that I haven't even started on yet that I will have to give you that answer in about another year. LOL
I have coal mines, gravel loaders, truck terminals, container terminals, lumber yards, power plant, scrap yard w/rebar mfg. plant, large refinery, & a lot I haven't completed yet. I have all the buildings, but haven't started installing all of them yet.
I almost had an 18 by 18 ft. layout finished & that wasn't big enough, so, I added another 18 by 18 ft. w/1 big 4 by 6 ft. bumpout. Someday that won't be big enough either.
I have a table that isn't being used right now that is 2ft. wide & 36ft. long which will be my fully equipped Rr yards.

Larry

PS-I'm not putting any pictures on because almost all have seen most of my layout.

Back