Lynn, from Massachusetts

Lynn

Hi. I am new here, and still figuring out the forum. My late husband was a hobbyist. I am looking to sell some N scale trains and accessories. Sorry, I don't know much about them. Could someone tell me the difference between a "Diesel" and regular? locomotive? How would you describe the one I've attached? I know it's an Atlas Classic RS-3, but other than that, I'm not sure. Thanks for your input!
Red train (2).jpg

Hi LYNN ... I am sorry to hear of your loss.
The RS-3 that you have pictured is a diesel loco - the real ones were made in the late 40's to mid 50's.
I presume that by a "regular locomotive" that you mean a steam powered engine such as pictured in the top left corner of this forum.
I think that the best way for you to educate yourself (other than by asking) is to sign in to eBay and type:
"N scale locomotives" in the search area. This is also a good way to "estimate" the value of items.
Also using the same "N scale" you can search for track, cars, whatever.
If you need help .. please ask.

Welcome to the forum.

When you search Ebay for price comps, be sure to select "completed listings". Asking prices and starting bids are just that, and the only thing that matters is if the item sold, and for how much. Somebody can list an item for $500, but if there are a hundred items just like it for sale for $20, guess which ones will sell, and which one will just sit and gather dust?

Firstly Lynn, sorry for your loss..
The engine you have there is a model of a real ALCO (American Locomotive Company) RS3 diesel loco. I believe if you look again at the end of the box it should say either DC or DCC.. DC is the least expensive.. If it or any say either DCC ready, plain DCC, or DCC/Sound on Board, the first one (DC) is the least expensive, 2nd one more expensive, and 3rd one more, and 4th the most expensive.. I doubt you want to know why..But if you do, don't hesitate to search these differences here in the forum by simply posting a question, like: "What does DC (or others) mean ?", or any other RR question. No one will bite you for it..
I guess you became a member to be able to post your question..But if it means you are planning to remain the hobby, that's good, too !
Happy holidays, Mark

Hi Lynn, I would like to add my condolences as well, on your loss.

Just to expand a little. The model you have was produced by Atlas in 2001, part number 42030, as shown. It can be found in Atlas's archives, which is where all the RS-3 models are listed. It appears to be DC (direct current) controlled, which is the basic electricity used on most U.S. models of the time. The N over H Logo, stands for the New Haven railroad, now, being no longer in existence, known as a "fallen flag". The real one, or as we model train nutters call them, "prototype", was built in 1950. The #520 is it's roster number among the locos owned by the New Haven RR'd. Here is the link to that Atlas Archive. Scroll down to the very bottom to find your locos listing. At the top, beneath the picture (Great Northern sample) is information both on the "prototypes" and the model's features.
http://archive.atlasrr.com/NLoco/arc-nrs3.htm

Here is a photo of #529, a relative of #520 showing what Alco diesels were famous (infamous?) for and earned them the title of honorary steam engines. This was the last surviving RS-3, the photo is from 1986. It's last one was taken in 2013 at the RR'd museum of New England,
1575454214390.png

when it was said to be about to receive a new motor
1575454815654.png

Hi LYNN ... I am sorry to hear of your loss.
The RS-3 that you have pictured is a diesel loco - the real ones were made in the late 40's to mid 50's.
I presume that by a "regular locomotive" that you mean a steam powered engine such as pictured in the top left corner of this forum.
I think that the best way for you to educate yourself (other than by asking) is to sign in to eBay and type:
"N scale locomotives" in the search area. This is also a good way to "estimate" the value of items.
Also using the same "N scale" you can search for track, cars, whatever.
If you need help .. please ask.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will definitely try that!

When you search Ebay for price comps, be sure to select "completed listings". Asking prices and starting bids are just that, and the only thing that matters is if the item sold, and for how much. Somebody can list an item for $500, but if there are a hundred items just like it for sale for $20, guess which ones will sell, and which one will just sit and gather dust?
Great suggestion! Thanks!

Firstly Lynn, sorry for your loss..
The engine you have there is a model of a real ALCO (American Locomotive Company) RS3 diesel loco. I believe if you look again at the end of the box it should say either DC or DCC.. DC is the least expensive.. If it or any say either DCC ready, plain DCC, or DCC/Sound on Board, the first one (DC) is the least expensive, 2nd one more expensive, and 3rd one more, and 4th the most expensive.. I doubt you want to know why..But if you do, don't hesitate to search these differences here in the forum by simply posting a question, like: "What does DC (or others) mean ?", or any other RR question. No one will bite you for it..
I guess you became a member to be able to post your question..But if it means you are planning to remain the hobby, that's good, too !
Happy holidays, Mark
Thanks, Mark!
That's very interesting! At the end of the box, it only says Atlas #42030 RS-3, New Haven #520. I asked my very bright daughter about the DC thing. She says that they are definitely DC because her Dad was hobbying in the 80s and 90s, and back then, that's all they had.
Thanks for the welcome! Perhaps one day one of my grandchildren will be interested. The oldest is 6, and the youngest 14 months.
Love the pics, btw!
Lynn

Hi Lynn, I would like to add my condolences as well, on your loss.

Just to expand a little. The model you have was produced by Atlas in 2001, part number 42030, as shown. It can be found in Atlas's archives, which is where all the RS-3 models are listed. It appears to be DC (direct current) controlled, which is the basic electricity used on most U.S. models of the time. The N over H Logo, stands for the New Haven railroad, now, being no longer in existence, known as a "fallen flag". The real one, or as we model train nutters call them, "prototype", was built in 1950. The #520 is it's roster number among the locos owned by the New Haven RR'd. Here is the link to that Atlas Archive. Scroll down to the very bottom to find your locos listing. At the top, beneath the picture (Great Northern sample) is information both on the "prototypes" and the model's features.
http://archive.atlasrr.com/NLoco/arc-nrs3.htm

Here is a photo of #529, a relative of #520 showing what Alco diesels were famous (infamous?) for and earned them the title of honorary steam engines. This was the last surviving RS-3, the photo is from 1986. It's last one was taken in 2013 at the RR'd museum of New England,View attachment 41962

when it was said to be about to receive a new motor
View attachment 41963
Sorry. I meant to thank you for the photos! 2001, really? That's interesting. I didn't remember that he was still into the hobby at that point. It's possible, I guess. Thank you so much for the information!

Back