Looking to get started in n gauge

jerrytbirdsc

I have would like to start with a 30 x 96 layout to begin with and run trains. I want to use DCC and want sound in my diesels. I would like opinoins of Atlas and Kato for power. I'm also interested in peoples opinions of starter DCC systems. I know MRC makes some drop in DCC sound decoders for Kato locos, how much trouble to make Atlas diesels go DCC with sound?
What is the practical turn radius in n guage with 6 axle vs 4 axle locos? What brand of track and code is most used in this scale?

My previous experience was with HO years ago, I used mostly Athearn diesels and rolling stock, kadee couplers, and Atlas track. I can solder and made my own crossing gate lighting circuit boards and occupation circuits for activation. These drop in ready DCC circuit boards are looking nice to me though.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jerry

I don't know your age but consider this. I had HO as a kid and got back into the hobby a year and a half ago. I loaded up with a couple thousand bucks worth of N on a 4x8. Engies were mostly Kato DCC and they ran great. My only problem was that I use reading glasses these days and I while I was able to work on the N size, it was a real pain in the butt. Just changing a couple took forever. I switched to HO and enjoy it much more. The layout had to increase to 8x8 but it's well worth it. The sound in the Ho is great as well. Sound is available in N but with the tiny speakers I don't think it's the best. If you stick with N I'd recommend only getting one engine and work with it for awhile. The DCC system you decide on will work with both gauges so that won't be a problem. The most popular here seems to be the NCE Procab and the Digitrax Zephyr for starter. Both very good setups that can be expanded.
Good Luck

Jerry, HB has made some very good points but the best is age, sight, and manual dexterity. The last two are unlikely to improve with age. Even if it seems fine now and you're 50 or over, how about five years from now? Ten years from now? Does wearing one of those big head mounted magnifier glasses to change a coupler or paint a detail on a structure sound like fun? If you're less than 40, N scale is a great choice. Over 50 and I'd have to think twice. Between 40 and 50 is a gray area I'll leave up to you. :)

Wow I'm suprised to hear such a negative response to someone wanting to start using n-gauge. I had to make sure this wasn't the HO section. :)

The whole appeal of n gauge is that it's small and you can do more in the same space. If I had the space then I would unbox all my old HO stuff. I even have tyco stuff from when I was a kid from the early 70's. I never sell stuff so it will be passed on.

Would like some advance from experienced n guage users. Is Atlas and Kato about the same quality? If you were starting from scratch which would you start with? If you were starting over what code and brand track would you lay? I don't see the need for expanding a DCC system since most of these starters can run several trains, plus I'm going to be running in a limited space so wireless not needed.

As far as the weak sound from a DCC encoder, does anybody sell dummy n gauge locos? Why can't you put a larger speaker in a dummy engine or in the first car of the consist? I know people were doing this even in HO to get better sound. The last time I was model railroading in the 80's, DCC was just coming out and it was way too expensive for me. Now it seems reasonable and a lot easier.

Jerry, the replies I wrote and read were not negative, just realistic. I've been in N gauge but, when I got back in the hobby last year after 20 years off, I found I no longer had the eyesight and manual dexterity that I did when I was 40. As long as you don't see this as an issue, N scale is a wonderful way to go.

KK, Here I go (gets up on box):D in the last 30 yrs I ran from one scale to an other,The last 20 years I have been playing in N scale "The Normal Scale":DI think it all depends on what your looking for
1. How big will it be now and how big will it grow?:confused:

2. How long of a train are you planning on running? I run a min of 6 Loco's and 85 cars can't do that in any other scale I think and that's on my outside main line.:D

3.How much time and money are you going to invest?:confused:

4.will you be joining a club to run with?:confused:

Both scales have pro's and con's alot more is still out there in H.O. but we getting there in N scale I think the biggest edge N scale has is the lack of space it takes up.I look at some of the HO stuff and often wish I was is HO!! but then again my shop would have to be twice the size it is now :D play with both scales before jumping in head and wallet first:D (gets off box)
Larry

Jerry, the replies I wrote and read were not negative, just realistic. I've been in N gauge but, when I got back in the hobby last year after 20 years off, I found I no longer had the eyesight and manual dexterity that I did when I was 40. As long as you don't see this as an issue, N scale is a wonderful way to go.

OMG Jim I'm over 40 does that mean I need to move up to H.O. rotflmao:D:rolleyes:

OMG Jim how did you know I'm gray and balding to

FYI it's "N scale"; gauge refers to the distance between the tracks. HO scale, O Scale, etc. Usually when gauge is used it refers to non standard railroading such as On30 - O scale, narrow gauge with 30" between the rails. A lot easier if we're all talking the same language!

Started looking at some online train retailers, OMG what happened to the prices on Athearn HO? All there kits are discontinued? Freight cars went from $7.95 to $16.95 becasue they are ready to run?? Slapping them together and installing Kadee couplers was part of the fun, lol. I don't see how it's worth paying $10 to have it ready to go. Did quality go up that much?

"N Scale" isn't anymore expensive than HO that's for sure. Has the hobby Population shrunk so much that it has caused the prices to go up? It's been 20 years since I was in the hobby, I'm really out of touch. I don't think freight cars were more than $4 retail back when I bought my last Athearn cars, bought a lot for under $3 at Train Shows and online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry if your looking for anything give me a wish lsit as I buy and sell collections all the time I may:D have what your looking for right now its a buyers market also ppl dumping stuff left and right

Last edited by a moderator:
Started looking at some online train retailers, OMG what happened to the prices on Athearn HO? All there kits are discontinued? Freight cars went from $7.95 to $16.95 becasue they are ready to run?? Slapping them together and installing Kadee couplers was part of the fun, lol. I don't see how it's worth paying $10 to have it ready to go. Did quality go up that much?

"N Scale" isn't anymore expensive than HO that's for sure. Has the hobby Population shrunk so much that it has caused the prices to go up? It's been 20 years since I was in the hobby, I'm really out of touch. I don't think freight cars were more than $4 retail back when I bought my last Athearn cars, bought a lot for under $3 at Train Shows and online.

Yes,quality did go up that much any one of my morden Kato loco's can pull up to 40 cars on a flat leve surface, how do you think I get away with running 80+ car trains 5 or 6 Kato -9's or four SD40-2's you get what you pay for.As far a Mt's couplers the only way to but them is in the bulk pack,most hobby shops in my area mark stuff down by 15-20%

There was no question for me. Go N scale or pray for a bigger house with a seperate train room.
Everybody in this hobby wishes they had more room. Why limit yourself with a bigger scale?

Jerry, prices have risen mainly due to two factors - inflation and better quality. Think abut the price of a box of cereal 20 years ago. :) All plastic is made with a lot of oil and until recently, that hasn't been going down either. Quality of equipment in both N and HO scale has improved dramatically from 20 years ago. Modelers are demanding more detail, more close to scale parts, correct prototype paint schemes, and better quality motors and drive trains in engines. Take a look at a Bachmann Silver series car and compare it to an Athearn BB car. In inflation adjusted prices, the Bachmann car is not much more expensive than a BB was then. The difference in fineness of detail and quality of paint and finish is vastly better. Even the giant claws for the boxcar doors are gone now. I suspect the absolute number of people "playing with trains" has gone down over the past 20 years but the number of people who at least try to be close to scale modelers has increased. This has driven the demand for better quality kits and RTR equipment. Like I said, check out a Branchline kit and see what kind of car you get compared to a BB car. You can still build kits, it's just that the end result looks a lot better without having to shave off all the molded details and hunt down all those elusive DA parts to have the same effect.

N scale is no more expensive than HO and, in many cases, less expensive. However, since you tend to buy more cars and engines, as nmaniac has stated, the costs turn out to be about the same. I have no axe to grind one way or another with either scale. If I had better eyes and hands, I would have built my current layout in N scale rather than HO.

"N scale is no more expensive than HO and, in many cases, less expensive. However, since you tend to buy more cars and engines, as nmaniac has stated, the costs turn out to be about the same. I have no axe to grind one way or another with either scale. If I had better eyes and hands, I would have built my current layout in N scale rather than HO."

OMG Jim you nailed that right on the head,I speak for myself its like how many railcars and engines do I really need ??:eek: I have cut way back and only buy what I really want not what everyone eles is because I like that road.I think N scalers tend to go overboard a wee bit I know I do now and then:rolleyes::eek::D

How many cars?

Using Joe Fugate's Layout Design Analysis, I have room on the layout I am buiding for 305 cars. I can move 160 cars per day in 11 trains.

So it lloks like all I need is at least 120 more cars and 9 new engines.

Oy! Maybe I'm glad I'm not in N Scale.

Spcaemouse, Let me know what types of cars and enignes you need I bet I can fill the order:eek::rolleyes::D

1890's ore cars.
4-4-0's 2-6-0's 2-4-0's 4-6-0's (old time) SP or undecorated.
Rolling stock from 1890's SP, CP and other Western areas, although since my layout is on the Overland Route, I have some leeway as to what might show up.

WOW,that's older me:rolleyes: but if I run into any I'll let you know all of the collections I have now are "newer" so to say but for the HOn3 its one of the Blackstone steamer, prodon me while I sit down to eat a big slice of crow pie:eek::D

Larry

Larry, no worries, I knew of the scaricity going in. Luckily there are still a lot of MDC kits out there and MDC has come out with their HO, 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 so fo now, I can get all my check book can afford.

Back