Looking for PRR information

PRRFAN

Hey guys,I'm new here to the site and it looks pretty nice,kinda a little slow,but that might be normal.
I'm trying to learn just about everything I can about Pennsylvania Rail Road.
I know enough to know what engines are what,and I'm trying to figure what Locomotive I want to build,The K-4 seems pretty popular,and I'm thinking that might make it easier to find information about it,but I think I might want to build a M1...just not too sure!
If anyone knows of any books or anything I need to get,or online information that would be great,I'm located in Idaho,so that puts me a LONG ways from any prototypes.
I was not around when steam was used so I've got no memories to work from either.
Wanting to model in 7.5 gauge,as there is a fairly big track not too far away.
Anything anyone could contribute would be appreciated!

There are a few smaller locos around here,there is a 90ton heisler,and a 10 wheeler,I think Baldwin,built in 1906 if I remember right,I can get pictures of them if anyone needs me too,they are where I can pretty much take a picture from any angle (no problem with climbing on them)

Thanks All
Brian

Howdy, Brian, and welcome aboard. The Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society website at http://www.prrths.com/ has just anything you'd ever want to know about the Pennsy. There's also a nice large gauge directory at http://www.maricopalivesteamers.com/links.htm.

The K4 is definitely the iconic PRR steam engine and I know there are kits available to build one in 7.5 inch gauge. An M1 would be both an engineering and financial challenge. I don't know what kind of experience you have as a machinist or how well equipped your shop is but you're going to need some serious manufacturing ability to build an M1. You might want to talk to some of the guys at the 7.5 gauge club close to you about the idea. If you got the skills and finances, I'd say go for it, but I'd probably tackle a smaller project first.

Thanks for the response Jim,would you happen to know who makes the kit for the K4?so far all I've been able to find are Aster kits (too little!)
I've got some experience,and I've got some machinist friends who can help me with anything I can't,or don't feel comfortable doing.
Finances would be the only thing holding me back,but I'm going to attempt to cast the stuff myself.
I may well take your advice and start with something smaller and less complex!
Thanks again
Brian

Back