Looking for decals, signs, interior photo for toy store

Raincoat2

One of the stores in my town is a toy store, circa 1955. Has anyone found decals or other stick-ons for a toy store? Or a photo of a toy store interior that could be mounted inside the structure?

You could make a window display with a combination of photos of boxed toys and games reduced in size on your printer. If you're doing HO or O scale, smaller scale items like N or Z scale automobiles could be used as toy cars or modified into a child's pedal car. A pedal car could be displayed with a scale bicycle. Small scale planes from an aircraft carrier model kit work as model planes for a window display. a few tiny scraps of wood could be painted and lined up on a hand drawn track for a model train in a window display as well. Z scale figures could work as dolls in the window display. The thing with toys in any scale, is simply finding smaller scale examples that could look convincing as toys.

Thanks, Joe. I'll check that out, too.

I found a great toy store window on Google Images. I'm going to use that - will post a photo if I can ever remember to take a camera to the train room. Did some other roaming around Google Images and found several other vintage color photos of other businesses. In some cases I may use parts of two or more photos.

Thanks, Joe. I'll check that out, too.

I found a great toy store window on Google Images. I'm going to use that - will post a photo if I can ever remember to take a camera to the train room. Did some other roaming around Google Images and found several other vintage color photos of other businesses. In some cases I may use parts of two or more photos.
Many of my storefronts contain collages of several photos. Wonderful what can be done with a little computer manipulation.

Jonny,

How'd you go with the pictures for your interior?

Hey, Tony - I'm using photos from Google Images. In some cases one photo did the trick, in a couple of stores I combined a couple of photos to make the store interior. Tricky to size them right (HO scale structures), but I'm getting the hang of it. Now I'm using those photos for several stores, in addition to the toy store I originally asked about.

I'm using photos from Google Images...Tricky to size them right.

Many graphics programs will allow to to work in inches rather than pixels. If the one you have has that feature, measure the opening you need, and then create a "canvas" (or whatever term your graphics program uses) to fit that size.

It's easy to do in Photoshop, but Photoshop is expensive and intimidating to learn at first, so if you're not already using it, I wouldn't suggest going that route just for this.

Also, if you have a desktop publishing program, you might be able to use that.

In any case, once you have one that works, save it, then just swap out the images as needed.

Bob - Thanks for the info. I don't have or use Photoshop. MS Word works okay, and a publishing program like InDesign works even better. So far, I've been able to size the images pretty well, and getting better at it.

Back