Long time Model RailRoader

steelwheels

Greetings,

Love model railroading, the realism that can be created is found in no other hobby. A model railroad when done correctly has motion and activity where there is none.

My current railroad scale is N, I chose N scale because I like long trains. The N scale locomotives pound for pound are powerful. Will pull 30-35 coal hoppers with one engine.

Started in N 1984, moved from Miami too Woodstock in 87, now having a basement and 30 some years later. I’ve come to a cross road of sorts.

Since I’ve modeled in N scale for 31 years, I’m pretty sure I can help folks solve problems and add some building tips along the way. Pass along the mistake I coincided made and add what I’d change.

So hello to all and hope to assist in anyway I can to make your Model Railroad a fun, functional operation.

Greg

Train1.jpg

Welcome Greg! I am new to the model railroad scene. I currently run HO scale but every time I see an N scale layout I am drawn to it. It will probably be my next step after I fulfill my HO scale addiction. I look forward to learning as much as I can from you and the others on the site.

Olie

That funny, my next move will be to HO, the layout is huge 12 x 16 few hundred feet of track, yard from the throat to the bumpers is 10 ft At 70 years old I need to move to a larger scale.....

Welcome to the forum Greg. Welcome.gif

That's an impressive scene for N scale.

We do have a bit in common. When I got out of the Navy in 1970 I ended up in Miami, working for the Florida Highway Patrol. I was in train withdrawal so I started small N scale layout that could be slid under a bed. Orange Blossom Hobbies was the to go to place back then. An excellent hobby shop with some extremely helpful people. Being out of he hobby for a while, they introduced me to flex track and I never touched sectional track again.

When My daughter was born in 1976, we decided to move back here to Montana where I had a few acres and built our home, with a basement of course. I incorporated my small N scale layout into one with over 11 scale miles of main line. Around 1980, I tore out the N scale layout and moved to HO scale. The locomotives back then weren't the best; I had probably around 30 locomotives at the time and only a handful were what I would consider "good running" locomotives. It was frustrating. Also back then there were only a very few road names available not like what is now available in N scale.

I also made a few mistakes when building the layout, learning in the school of hard knocks. We have member on the forum ranging from beginners that are more than willing to ask questions to members who have been around the hobby for year and are more than willing to help those asking questions.

You should fit right into the forum. Stop by the Coffee Shop and have a cup. We BS about most anything there except politics.

Welcome aboard.

I chose N scale because I like long trains.
I chose N scale in 1969 because of space considerations. My entire bed room was only 9x10. I started with a 2x4 and moved up to a 2x8. It was "over" my bed. I switched to HO in 1983 because I started scratch building equipment and wanted scale sized hand rails. I finally razed the 2x8 layout in 2003. Very sad, just couldn't find space to keep it. I regret that now, should have just rented a storage unit.

Since I’ve modeled in N scale for 31 years, I’m pretty sure I can help folks solve problems and add some building tips along the way. Pass along the mistake I coincided made and add what I’d change.
You have probably seen many of the changes through the years. We do have an N-scale specific category of discussions, where you will probably find folks that need help. My comments are based on 30 year old knowledge and not worth that much.

Welcome to the forum Greg. View attachment 65420

That's an impressive scene for N scale.

We do have a bit in common. When I got out of the Navy in 1970 I ended up in Miami, working for the Florida Highway Patrol. I was in train withdrawal so I started small N scale layout that could be slid under a bed. Orange Blossom Hobbies was the to go to place back then. An excellent hobby shop with some extremely helpful people. Being out of he hobby for a while, they introduced me to flex track and I never touched sectional track again.

When My daughter was born in 1976, we decided to move back here to Montana where I had a few acres and built our home, with a basement of course. I incorporated my small N scale layout into one with over 11 scale miles of main line. Around 1980, I tore out the N scale layout and moved to HO scale. The locomotives back then weren't the best; I had probably around 30 locomotives at the time and only a handful were what I would consider "good running" locomotives. It was frustrating. Also back then there were only a very few road names available not like what is now available in N scale.

I also made a few mistakes when building the layout, learning in the school of hard knocks. We have member on the forum ranging from beginners that are more than willing to ask questions to members who have been around the hobby for year and are more than willing to help those asking questions.

You should fit right into the forum. Stop by the Coffee Shop and have a cup. We BS about most anything there except politics.

Oh my we sure do have a few things in common. Orange Blossom and Augey (sp). I am very sure our paths had crossed at the far right hand end counter, I worked for Xerox at the time.

I always dug the display cases with that lawyers collection of every O gauge brass that was ever made. Of course everything in there was over the top. Orange Blossom had to be the hobby mecca of the world.... They had a huge HO layout upstairs, did you ever get a chance to visit it? Had a coal station full hopper would empty, a full hopper would get pushed into place. Moving empty and it would coast down a ramp into a yard, pretty slick. Never saw the lay completed don't know if it ever did get finished.

Discharged from the Navy the same year, I left in 87 had enough, was not born there but did grow up there.

Thanks, glad you like the scene, I'll be post more as we go.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard.

I chose N scale in 1969 because of space considerations. My entire bed room was only 9x10. I started with a 2x4 and moved up to a 2x8. It was "over" my bed. I switched to HO in 1983 because I started scratch building equipment and wanted scale sized hand rails. I finally razed the 2x8 layout in 2003. Very sad, just couldn't find space to keep it. I regret that now, should have just rented a storage unit.

You have probably seen many of the changes through the years. We do have an N-scale specific category of discussions, where you will probably find folks that need help. My comments are based on 30 year old knowledge and not worth that much.

Thanks Iron Horseman,

69, lol I was what is called a short timer, looking forward to being a civilian again. I would imagine in 69 N did not have much in the way of details or structures. 83 details were becoming more plentiful, they even had some wood kits, few but were out there. The company that produced those was Muir, I think the only other one was Cambel, bridges and some odds and ends.

However from 83 and forward the detail selections really grew, I used HO lift rings on my diesels, they looked quit good. Then etched, detail parts and finally the lazer cut wood kits .... totally killer. It sure made the wooden kit easy to build I can tell you that.

I do not have any DC or DCC cab control, soon as I get this current layout sorted out. The next one will have that capability. I want to build the Clinchfield with the empty coal hoppers in and full hoppers out the other side.. That's the end game.

Greg

Greg - I doubt that we may have crossed paths because I move back to Montana in 1977.

On the N scale layout before it was toen down, I did have a coal operation with the empties in and load out set up with a power plant on the other side of a mountain. There were a number of atricles about that years ago, but I see very little mention of that today. It was a nice operational feature.

Greg - I doubt that we may have crossed paths because I move back to Montana in 1977.

On the N scale layout before it was toen down, I did have a coal operation with the empties in and load out set up with a power plant on the other side of a mountain. There were a number of atricles about that years ago, but I see very little mention of that today. It was a nice operational feature.

Chet,

Yeah sounds correct, started MRing about 83 after I bought a town house. The coal operation you speak about is found on the Clinchfield Rail Road model.

Sweet operation, fun also

Greg

Welcome Greg from another Greg! I model in HO scale but seriously considered N scale prior to starting my current layout. I too like long trains, but have limited space, but still kept to HO since I already had a lot of equipment and HO track. Like Chet commented, that scene that you posted is excellent modeling.

Welcome again.

Greg

Welcome Greg from another Greg! I model in HO scale but seriously considered N scale prior to starting my current layout. I too like long trains, but have limited space, but still kept to HO since I already had a lot of equipment and HO track. Like Chet commented, that scene that you posted is excellent modeling.

Welcome again.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Must be an echo.. lol, thanks for the complement, my goal was to build N too the level found so often in HO. Having this layout completed now for ten years.

The itch to build another is creeping in, however I will be moving over to HO. Two reasons, one I want to build a Clinchfield type lay out, not copy, but the operations. Now 70, HO will be an easier scale to build.

So we will see where it goes from here.

Best regards,
Greg

Back