Logging Locos & Minimum Radius Curves

beiland

In general the many real life logging locos could negotiate some pretty rough track, and I imagine some pretty tight turns.

What will our models do? What sort of minimum radius turns will our HO logging locos negotiate?

I'm thinking of building a small logging scene on a hanging peninsula section, and I am wondering if I can put a return loop at one end,...perhaps as little as 14-16 inches radius.

I've got a variety of nice loggers I'd like to run (continuously) on a compact logging track 'loop'

Except for the Bachmann 3 truck Shay, most geared engines will negotiate 18" curves, and many of them down to 15", before they give problems.
The Bachmann Shay doesn't seem to like curves less than 22".

Is the problem with the Bachmann shay the fact that the drive shafts might be too short?
I suspected this might be a problem with some of the shay MODELS??

Is the problem with the Bachmann shay the fact that the drive shafts might be too short?
I suspected this might be a problem with some of the shay MODELS??
The problem with the pair I had was they would derail on sharper curves.

from another forum

Dear Brian,
Which specific locos (make, model, and era/production-run) did you have in mind/on the roster?
FWIW:
- The B'mann Class B Climax is factory-rated for 18" radii,
can do 15" stock,
and has been reported as capable of 12" with modifications

- The B'mann Class C Shay is factory-rated for 18" radii,
and has been reported as capable of 12" if converted to a Class B 2-trucker.
(BVM did an On30 2-trucker conversion kit some years ago, providing the proving ground for this one).

- The B'mann 45-tonner (honorary geared logging loco, those siderods...) is factory-rated for 18" radii,
and has been reported as capable of 10".

If you're got 15" radii capability, then you should have enough elbow room for most common HO RTR offerings, providing your track-laying, loco and rollingstock configs, and coupler operation is tuned to perfection...
For reference, read and heed, particularly the intro on Page 1.

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

In general the many real life logging locos could negotiate some pretty rough track, and I imagine some pretty tight turns.

What will our models do? What sort of minimum radius turns will our HO logging locos negotiate?
I've read and I am pretty certain the Mantua 2-6-6-2 and 2-6-6-0 can go around 15" just like the prototype.

Hello,

I have a 127-foot flex-track O-Scale 2-Rail folded dogbone layout with radii of 40" and 45".

I'm interested in an MTH O-Scale 4-6-2 Pacific loco, and the spec sheet says it will run on a radius as small as 42 inches.

Does this mean it will derail on the 40" curved portion of my layout?

My train is a slow-moving 8-car short-line Freight.

Brakeman Hal
013.JPG

012.JPG

Last edited:
15" radius track vs 18" radius track

This afternoon I was working on the track that would be entering the 'saw mill / gallows turntable' area of my logging scene from one of the mainlines. It appears as though I need 2 sections of 15" radius track about 18-20 inches long each, to fit things in the way I am hoping.

I believe I recall that most of the 'plastic loggers' will just barely negotiate the 15" curves (the brass ones maybe not)? I think even the articulated Mantua 2-6-6-0 will fit??

I would drag out some track and the locos and do some testing, BUT I only have a single 9" long piece of 15" r track.

15" Radius Testing

Perhaps I don't have to do that testing myself,..

For everyone's information, I just set up an HO 15" curve and ran my Bachmann 3 truck Shay through it. Even at slow speed she bucked off the rail coming out of it. Just sitting there with no power the tender and loco touch, but there is a little play, so I thought I got lucky. Running, whole 'nother story. I'll try 16". BTW the axles never popped out. (UPDATE 7/4: I ran the 3 truck Shay through the 15" curve again with my glasses on, certain all wheels were aligned first. It would not derail even at top speed. Can't say what happened but I'm adding Shay to the 15 club!)
Then I had success, no derails on the 15" HO curve with the following:
Bachmann 10 wheeler Baldwin.
Proto 2000 SW8
Proto 2000 FA1-FB1, hitched.
Hope this helps! -Rob
(from another forum discussion)

So it appears I can get the Mantua 2-6-6-2, the Heisler, and the Shay thru these 15" curves. That's good enough for me. I'm going to have to go 15" on a few short sections, as I just couldn't fit the larger radius turns in my track plan.

Back