Locomotive Discussion - physical power/traction on the layout? Diesel/Electric mainly

So much for copy and paste!:). Thanks for the correction.

Yes, when the first ones wrong all the following will be too. Bit like a couple of years ago when I dug holes for a replacement fence that was made of fixed length panels. Made a measurement mistake on the first and all the rest followed suit. Not discovered till putting in the first assembled panel. Not only did all the other holes have to be dug wider as well, twice the concrete had to be used to fill them up. I'll take your "mistake" any day.

FlyFishn -

If you're still interested in CN locos, I've decided to thin my dual-RR herd and focus more on NS and less on CN. I do have that SD75i, some late-model GE's and a few others. None have any significant run time, and some are actually still brand new. I can sell them to you for a bit less than I'd list them on eBay, so PM me if you're interested and I'll give you a list. It would still go through Paypal as far as payment, so you'd be protected from fraud etc. Let me know if you're interested, and if not I'll be listing them on eBay soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago (I'm thinking the late 1990's and early 2000's), there was a monthly or per issue feature of 'performance statistics' (weight, stalling amperage, drawbar pull, etc), for various model manufacturer's then current or new models. It was in either Rail Model Journal, Model Railroading, or Railroad Modeler, as I recall. I think there might have been a complete summary table done at some point, of all the models they tested, before the magazine quit publication, about 2005 (they all gave up about the same time). I Model Railroading was eventually bought out by Carstens/Railroad Model Craftsman, and I really haven't seen anything similar run since then.

As others have said, a model 6 axle diesel is not 50% 'more powerful,' than a 4 axle diesel in the model railroading world. Things vary model to model, even from the same manufacturer, as the variables like weight, shaft horsepower, etc, change with each new run of a given model, potentially.

Some people in the past, have done various things such as to make some axles unpowered, on typically 6 axle units, to simulate prototypical motive power capacities.

Hope this helps some.

My experience is that the newer models pull pretty well. I didn't add weight to my nscale cars. I was able to run a 100 car train behind 3 modern DCC locomotives the same as prototype trains around here do. This was on a level mainline with a single 2% x 1/2" rise grade that was for show. I did have issues with uncoupling on trains that long.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I counted the cars on a train I spotted on Google Earth - 105 behind 3 locos. If the locos are 6 axle units that is 35 cars per loco and almost 6 cars per axle. So that is almost 3x the 2 car/axle rule.
Loaded or empty? In real life it isn't just number of cars but what is in them. That sounds like a lot for 3 locos. If it was a loaded coal train I would have expected 2 pushers in the rear.

In model railroading we don't have that issue since we "pretend" what the load is. A car load of steel coils vs a load of pillows doesn't matter much in modeling. Usually our model trains are over powered just because we like the look of 3 locos on the point, and there are very few dummy locos out there anymore.

Back