LINDE cryo car painted and decaled

It wasn't a Linde, but I just saw one of those cryo cars roll through Wheaton, Illinois on the UP (ex-CNW) a couple of weeks ago.

Liquid Oxygen Railcars

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53243414@N00/

Well, I've finished the car. If clothes make the man, decals make the tank car.

Regards, Bobby

AWESOME Bobby. I had begun work on such a project for the 'Liquid Oxygen' cars long ago and never found time to complete them.

I mention it here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165994&postcount=25

Can you give us some details of how you accomplished this project?

Also I have a whole collection of photos on my computer of these liquid oyxgen cars, and wanted to add yours to it. But I can't seem to operate that flicker site. Can you send them to me in a private email?
railandsail@gmail.com

Regards, Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brian. I'm not very good at explaining how I build something, I just do it.
I'm not on line, so I can't send you the photos, and I have no clue how to do flickr, sorry.

Bobby

Thanks Brian. I'm not very good at explaining how I build something, I just do it.
I'm not on line, so I can't send you the photos, and I have no clue how to do flickr, sorry.

Bobby
Did someone else post your photos to Flickr? Perhaps that person could send me the photos?

The problem I am finding with these photo hosting sites is they are acting as though all of these photos posted to their site are copywrited, and then acting to collect fees for their use. I'm not so sure that these fees they collect ever get back to the original owner of the photos?,....or if a verey small percentage does, and they keep the rest.

I believe you can, (or the person who posted your photos), could give me permission to download your photos without going thru all of their crap and fees? But it might just be simplier for your friend who posted the photos just send me copies.

Did you have a copy of that article I posted handy when you were building yours?

How did you make your rings (ring frames)? I could not do them with I-beam material, but rather had to use solid rectangular or square rods of plastic. I bent them around the cylindrical body in steps, glueing with superglue as I went, and then finally applying a solvent glue to the 'assembly'.

This was pretty time consuming considering the number of ring frames on each car. I was playing with some other ideas when I got distracted onto other projects.

You did a great job.

I post the photos on a friends computer, who knows less than I do. I've downloaded photos from other folks flickr by making the photo as large as it gets, then right clicking it.
Yes I used the MR article in building the car, it was very useful! The way you do the rings is the way I do them, except I pin them with a piece of .022 wire, so I can stretch as I go. Thanks for your kind words.

Bobby

I post the photos on a friends computer, who knows less than I do. I've downloaded photos from other folks flickr by making the photo as large as it gets, then right clicking it.
Yes I used the MR article in building the car, it was very useful! The way you do the rings is the way I do them, except I pin them with a piece of .022 wire, so I can stretch as I go. Thanks for your kind words.

Bobby
I've been away from this discussion for awhile, but just ran across it again. I visited your photos and was able to download some of then into my file on these cars. I like to 'store' such pics on my own computer as sometimes they disappear from the web, and I can't find them any longer....so photo situation solved.

The more I look thru your photos the more I am impressed with your WONDERFUL modeling skills.

I took note that you were able to get decals for this car from 'Highball Graphics'. I have very little experience in decaling a car. I do know you need to apply the decal over a shiny background, then dull coat the whole thing. Otherwise the background bleeds thru the decal. Is that correct?

How long do these decals last before they need to be used...or go bad?

And lastly what did you use for the cylindrical body of your car?

Thanks beiland
I use gloss to paint all of my models, it hides the decal film. Then, as you say dullcote. Weathering powder, such as my choice, Bragdon, doesn't need a over spray so it want blotch.
The body is the Athearn 62' car which are getting hard to find. Decals will keep for years.

Regards, Bobby

The body is the Athearn 62' car which are getting hard to find. Decals will keep for years.
I thought maybe so, but then who knows with your modeling skills, it might have been something else...ha...ha.

I'm ordering several sets of those decals just to have them on hand

It sure would be nice to source someone with a laser cutter to cut those rings rather than wrap and glue strips of styrene :rolleyes:. I'll have to look into that.

I've already collected quite a few of those Athearn tank cars as I also wanted to do several 'CSX fuel tenders' , including a couple of experiments as a 'sound car' to run between 2 locos.

Ring Frames, Ribs....

How did you make your rings (ring frames)? I could not do them with I-beam material, but rather had to use solid rectangular or square rods of plastic. I bent them around the cylindrical body in steps, glueing with superglue as I went, and then finally applying a solvent glue to the 'assembly'.

This was pretty time consuming considering the number of ring frames on each car. I was playing with some other ideas when I got distracted onto other projects.

You did a great job.
Turns out I did try some I-beam, or more likely they should be referred to as H-beams as ring ribs. I just dug out my old project tray and found the other 'experiment'.

It did look pretty good, but as you can see in a few photos these style ribs were extremely sensative to damage. I think these 'bent H-beams' of styrene became a little 'brittle' with the combination of bending and the styrene liquid cement application...(Tenax 7R)

NOTE: Just added some of those photos that somehow got deleted quite awhile back
Rectangular ring ribs, ps600.jpg
Rectangular ring ribs2, ps600.jpg
H strip ring ribs, ps600.jpg
H strip ribs, damage1.jpg
H strip ribs damage2.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out I did try some I-beam, or more likely they should be referred to as H-beams as ring ribs. I just dug out my old project tray and found the other 'experiment'.

It did look pretty good, but as you can see in a few photos these style ribs were extremely sensative to damage. I think these 'bent H-beams' of styrene became a little 'brittle' with the combination of bending and the styrene liquid cement application...(Tenax 7R)
I used styrene strips with a cap to form theT . I only did that on my shielded car. OMI used T on their car with two full walkways, then went to solid on their two other cars. It looks about the same except close up.

Bobby

Back