LINDE cryo car painted and decaled

Yes, they are plastic.

I used metal on my DUPX 29723. I use double thickness and cut into sections to prevent warping. I also used metal on the VICX car. I solder two sections to get the correct thickness. I use clothes pins to hold the two and use silver bearing to fasten together. Yes, silver bearing works on stainless, flows like water with the provided flux. You learn lots of tricks over the years.
Bobby
So just to clarify things I seperated your answer as above. The Linde car utilized plastic walkways, and these were NOT doubled....correct?

That's correct. The plastic is thick enough, but is easy to break, that's why I edge it with stainless frets. In
the case of the double walkway car, I lined the walkway on both sides.

Bobby

Web browsing a little bit today and ran across a few interesting items to add to this subject thread.

Attachments

• High Capacity RR Tank Cars for Cryogenic Fluid.jpg
    High Capacity RR Tank Cars for Cryogenic Fluid.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 273
Thanks Beiland for posting the info. The Concept models are a bit crude, but would make nice models with a lot of work. I have my five ladder ready for decals, l just need to get motivated.

Look at what this Overland model of the Linde car just sold for on Ebay.....$416 WOW !!

Overland #80017, ps.jpg

$_57d, 1024.jpg

$_57b, 1024.jpg

$_57c, 1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you are saying,...that seemed to be the going price. That's why I was so surprised by that latest ebay price. I just keep a running watch for those cars, so that's how I came to find that auction.

A kit drawing.

That kit dwg I posted awhile back was labeled Display Craft. Well a real live model of that kit just showed up on ebay.

Attachments

• Old Kit..jpg
    Old Kit..jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Old Kit.jpg
    Old Kit.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Old Kit4.jpg
    Old Kit4.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 249
I used the directions, saddles and boxes on my shielded version. The wood parts and small metal parts were tossed. I'm sure I could have built it, but styrene makes more sense and looks better.

Regards, Bobby

New from Broadway Limited

Hey Bobby,
I just got a new catalog from Broadway limited a few weeks ago,...and a BIG surprise,....they are going to do some "cryogenic tank cars" .

Their catalog just shows an illustration, and list 8 different cars. That's all the info I've been able to get so far? I sent them a link to our discussions here, and ask if they were going to do any raised walkway versions?

Exciting info, never the less !! :cool:

Here is the illustration they posted in their catalog

Attachments

• BLI cryo car.jpg
    BLI cryo car.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
According to their catalog the single cars will be $40, and the 2-packs will be $80.

If they do as good of a job as they have on other things, this could be very reasonable,....not cheap to some, but reasonable

'Solid' Ribs vs Flanged Ribs

I used styrene strips with a cap to form theT . I only did that on my shielded car. OMI used T on their car with two full walkways, then went to solid on their two other cars. It looks about the same except close up.

Bobby
Thought I would repost this quote of yours for future reference.

Other Variations of this Cyrogenics Car Design

Bobby and/or others,
It might be nice if we post some photos of other variations of this similar cyro car form, and other roadnames that could be used as a good general reference for Broadway to look thru when selecting which ones to model. ...kind of gather them all together in this subject thread.

...here are a couple to start things off

Attachments

• Liquid Air, ps.jpg
    Liquid Air, ps.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 235
  • $_57l.jpg
    $_57l.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 242
  • $_57m.jpg
    $_57m.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 244
  • $_57p.jpg