lightweight bench work for fold up 4x8 table

malletman

Alcohaulic
I am between modeling 2 different railroads, one can use my exhisting shelf benchwork with its super tight 15" radius curves as the motive power is mostly 4 axles on the branch I would model. But running into some issues aquiring the primary locomotive I want(seller is slow to respond/or blowing me off, not sure which yet). So this puts me back with my recently bought IC "death star" SD70, which needs 22" radius curves to be happy. My only option to run this model at home is the traditional 4x8 table, which in my small room is only accessable from one side. It also needs to be a "fold up" design, closing against a 1x8 frame work mounted to the wall. The wall frame still exhists, but the fold up portion got recycled into other projects. That version was almost to heavy to fold closed when it was just a bare table. I am thinking of using thinner wood than the 1x4 framing from last time, and recessing foam board for the top surface instead of plywood as I plan to use Kato HO Unitrak instead of Atlas snap track. I would have to finish the rear scenery first as I would need to reach across the table to lay the track and such at the rear. All turnouts would be at the front to minimize derailment issues at the rear. While the big SD70 didnt fit into the scheme of things, for the price at the show for a factory painted, serial numbered(32 of 55) brass diesel, I could not pass it up. Just not sure if it will be a shelf queen or a layout dweller? Mike the Aspie
Here is the exhisting benchwork, first built for a Marklin layout, but tight radius Atlas or Kato track fits as well. Its basicly a 4x8 with a narrowed section in the middle to allow access to the shelves to the rear(which is the old wall frame that I can turn back into the fold up table frame). not sure if a removable "bridge" could span the gap or not, I am not that good with benchwork, what you see here was made for me by someone else.
Resized-20181230-164505-6255.jpg

Resized-20181230-164640-1192.jpg

I was finally able to secure the needed Alco C430 I needed. So I will be selling the SD70. Going to try to use this exhisting benchwork, even with the tight curves it requires.

Back