LGB Train power help...

Jstats

Hello...I have a LGB starter kit with w/51 inch round brass track using engine 20212 Stainz. I use it around my Christmas tree. This past year, I noticed the engine was not maintaining speed. It would slow down and speed up sporadically. I am trying to figure out if it may be due to the power pack or engine motor. I took a multimeter to the power track and it measured approx. 25 V DC at the wire connectors. I then hooked up wires to track and tested the rails at each section, which consistently measured at the same approx. 25 V DC. I cleaned rails/track and made sure wheels and shoes of train were clean. I put engine on tracks and continued to notice engine speed up and slow down with no change in speed control. I took the multimeter to track to check V DC under load and noticed fluctuations that directly correlated to the train speeding up and down. It appears to be happening randomly. Is this enough to go on to determine whether or not I need to replace my power pack? The train lights continue to function correctly...it is hard to tell if they dim but the speed variance is noticeable. I have the original power pack...LGB 50081, which is rated at input 120V AC 60Hz and output 0-24V DC 20VA. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello...I have a LGB starter kit with w/51 inch round brass track using engine 20212 Stainz. I use it around my Christmas tree. This past year, I noticed the engine was not maintaining speed. It would slow down and speed up sporadically. I am trying to figure out if it may be due to the power pack or engine motor. I took a multimeter to the power track and it measured approx. 25 V DC at the wire connectors. I then hooked up wires to track and tested the rails at each section, which consistently measured at the same approx. 25 V DC. I cleaned rails/track and made sure wheels and shoes of train were clean. I put engine on tracks and continued to notice engine speed up and slow down with no change in speed control. I took the multimeter to track to check V DC under load and noticed fluctuations that directly correlated to the train speeding up and down. It appears to be happening randomly. Is this enough to go on to determine whether or not I need to replace my power pack? The train lights continue to function correctly...it is hard to tell if they dim but the speed variance is noticeable. I have the original power pack...LGB 50081, which is rated at input 120V AC 60Hz and output 0-24V DC 20VA. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
As your lights don't seem t be affected, I would suspect the motor in the loco. Check the current drawn by the loco while running. If it varies, or is high, test to see if it is overheating.

As your lights don't seem t be affected, I would suspect the motor in the loco. Check the current drawn by the loco while running. If it varies, or is high, test to see if it is overheating.

Thanks for responding, Sherman. I apologize for my delay. I needed to purchase a multi that would allow me to test for current drawn when engine is running.

I was able to test today. I placed the engine on its side to test using the same power transformer. I had current running through the shoes. I am reading approx. .51 amps when the train is running well. However, the amps will fluctuate/vary higher. These variances higher correlate to a slowing of the engine, and I was getting a reading as high as approx. 1.5 amps at times. Also...when the amps jump...I have noticed the light on the front of my engine dim. This was repeated throughout my testing and occurs at the same time the train slows. In regards to overheating, I don't necessary know how to test for it. After running test for a few minutes, I did put my fingers on the very bottom of the train where the motor is located within the engine and didn't notice any warmth.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help narrow down the issue. Thank you.

Thanks for responding, Sherman. I apologize for my delay. I needed to purchase a multi that would allow me to test for current drawn when engine is running.

I was able to test today. I placed the engine on its side to test using the same power transformer. I had current running through the shoes. I am reading approx. .51 amps when the train is running well. However, the amps will fluctuate/vary higher. These variances higher correlate to a slowing of the engine, and I was getting a reading as high as approx. 1.5 amps at times. Also...when the amps jump...I have noticed the light on the front of my engine dim. This was repeated throughout my testing and occurs at the same time the train slows. In regards to overheating, I don't necessary know how to test for it. After running test for a few minutes, I did put my fingers on the very bottom of the train where the motor is located within the engine and didn't notice any warmth.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help narrow down the issue. Thank you.
If the rotor (armature) of the motor spins fairly freely, (no jerks, or lockups when spun by hand), my suspicions you have a short in one of the armature windings.
Not being familiar with that particular motor, be it a three, four, or five pole, I can only suggest you attempt to isolate each pole and test the resistance of each. The one with the distinct drop in resistance would indicate a short in that pole. The motor may have to be re-wound. Not a easy task, but not un-reasonable either.

I concur that the motor in the Stainz is starting to fail and needs replacement. Any good LGB shop should have the motor instock. If your unable to repair it your self, many shops offer this service. I use Zionsville Train Depot located in Indiana near Indianapolis for my repair work. That is the old Watts Train Shop under new ownership but same great repair service. I also have a Stainz that when first starting out (cold engine if you will) stutters. I got it second hand and the had flooded the smoke unit and the fluid was everwhere. I suspect it has fouled the communtator inside the motor and these new motors cannot really be taken apart. I do plan to try to flush with TV Tuner Cleaner but worst case, my electric Stainz will also need a fresh motor before December comes again. Mike

Back