LGB Layout in 20' x 25' Room

Brakeman Hal

I'm presently running this 127-foot O-Scale 2-Rail layout in my game room.

Could I fit a layout for my LGB 2-6-0 Mogul and still leave room for the entrance door and the Pool Table?

Brakeman Hal
003.JPG
016.JPG

Your return loop radii are what's going to decide it. If you can sit your G scale train on top of the O gauge track, coupled up, without the loco and cars binding against each other and not overhanging the edges of the layout, then yes. As far as available space to enlarge it, I think you've reached it.
Otherwise, a shelf at the height it's on, all the way around the walls, replace the hinged door with a slider on the outside wall and a lift up track section across the opening. At least you'd see it run.

I did a lift out bridge section many layouts ago. I was young then, and laziness caused me to duck under the bridge almost all the time. I don't think Hal (correct me if I'm wrong) will want to duck under a bridge. And Hal probably will get tired of lifting out the section if he visits his layout more than twice a week.

On the other hand, my 4 foot long camelback truss bridge was quite impressive.

Law-zee-merci! With all that to look after - I habe to ask why you keep trying to change stuff around?

Build the G Scale on "T" risers around the yard!

Sherrel...I'm not TRYING to change stuff around... I'm SUCCEEDING in changing stuff around!

No outdoor railroad either...too dusty! The railroad stays in the room that was built for it!

YOWZAH!

Hal

2 options then. Lay an extra rail around the track, to make it dual gauge, or, have the Loco and rolling stock re-gauged into O and run as narrow.

Toot, laying an extra rail outboard of my O-scale track will look awkward, as the ties will be out of scale with the Train. It will look like shet!

I've had HO on this benchwork, and then O, with each scale being properly laid and having proper appearance. No narrow gauge either...I'm not a Logging road!

(How's this for dual gauge? Now you know why I went to a larger scale!)

But Toot...I do appreciate all your inputs!:)
Brakeman Hal
001.JPG

Last edited:
I came across these pictures on the "net" which show 45mm and 32mm scale dual gauge track, but no mention of the maker's name. Would mean lifting all of your current track to install it though. My club has a raised outdoor layout with multiple track gauges on it. I'll make inquiries when next there. The models shown are O and G respectively.
1565733478724.png

1565733550077.png

Hey toot...no need to make inquiries!

I've decided that a G-Scale train would look out of place on my O-scale layout!

And I don't feel like pulling up 380 spikes and unsoldering 77 rail connections to remove my
O-Scale 2-Rail track and then spiking and soldering G-scale track in its place!

My shaky 83-year-old hands would not allow the task to go smoothly either, so skroo the idea!

Besides...G-Scale will make my Mountain Goat look ridiculously small!
Hal
006.JPG

Last edited:
Well....at least you tried one idea, putting the train on (over) the track to see whether it would handle the radius. As far as the goat (and horse) , it reminds me of a TV Jeep SUV Ad where the young son, when his Dad brings the new Jeep home, looks over at the Tinny (small aluminum rowboat) on it's trailer, and say's to his father "We're gon'na have to get a bigger boat".

No problem. I hate ripping stuff out. Usually happens when I think of a better way to do whatever it is I'm doing. Worse, when I build something, I make it solid.
Or my wife, who can't pre-visualise, doesn't like what I've made, after I finish it. Also usual.

Hal,
Looks like you have more than enough toys (and talents) to keep you busy. Plus some cool hats!

You're right, Gary B!

Brakeman Hal
158.jpg
002.JPG
002(1).JPG
254.JPG
013.JPG

Attachments

• 252.JPG
    252.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 564.jpg
    564.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 178
What do you do with the van de graaff generators? I always wanted on but no room in the house.

I did create a spark gap generator to p.o. other residents in college. The static would usually feed back through their too loud stereos.

Last edited:

Back