Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Here’s a pic of one that was in the yard one day back in 2015
D85CB2CA-7DA7-4738-BF59-65C77BD8DC1A.jpeg

Last edited:
I got ahold of three Bowser kits for Milwaukee Road wood chip hoppers. The cars are solid, and if not heavily detailed should be easy for anyone to super-detailed. The really interesting part is that Bowser supplies plastic wood chip loads for these cars.

And of course they are boring and flat-looking, painted one simple sandy color. That just won't do for me, so I dug out my razor saw and I took it to a maple stick from my front yard and made some sawdust. When I had enough, I brushed some watered down wood glue on the plastic loads and dusted them. Allow that to set up for a while (maybe about 15 mins) and then cover the whole thing with another round of watered down wood glue.
IMG_20181014_111247570.jpg
When finished, the loads look pretty good and are also pretty durable.
IMG_20181024_223905904.jpg

(Unfortunately this car has broken a truck after it fell off a counter. Atleast it was in its box and avoided further damage.)
WoodChipHoppers1.jpg

Nicely done, whose chains and flatcar?

It's funny you know, we have a Nissan dealership here which also has the John Deere agency, one of the biggest around. They import all the toy sizes of the models and have a display area for them. I've inquired about the 1:87 models, but just get told, "we don't do them". Dumb, eh.

I used a old burned out armature. The mounts are 3/16" plywood. The tie downs are 22 gauge copper wire. I didn't glue the mounts to the floor as I was able to secure the wire, so there is no movement. It might not be prototypical,
but it sure looks good.

IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG

Steve
I like how you have 3 separate commodities, instead of 1 large load. The tarps are a great feature.
Very good job!

Those JD tractors are a great load. Really nice work. But isn't that roll of towel paper going to exceed tunnel clearances, when you put it on a flatcar? :p Length looks okay, though.
Those JD tractors are a great load. Really nice work. But isn't that roll of towel paper going to exceed tunnel clearances, when you put it on a flatcar? :p Length looks okay, though.
It was the only thing white I could fine for a background.

Don't know how I missed this post. Here are some old Athearn blue box freight cars tha are over 30 years old. Not a whole lot of choice back then. I model the transition era set in 1957.

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

Nothing fancy, but with a little bit of weathering, it's hard to tell these old cars apart from more expensive modern cars. These two cabooses are wood kits, Silver Streak I believe, also over 30 years old.

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

They are still around and used on a regular basis with no problems. I can't can't see paying big bucks for highly detailed freight cars. The details under the cars area really nice, but I keep mine right side up and these details won't be seen.

Finished a couple new loads recently. My first coal load is kind of rough-cut but it will pass for a while. The second one is a pole load (which admittedly is probably too long but "meh"). I'm thinking the poles may need some more staining..
50824458_10218000261295941_1141637233950851072_n.jpg
IMG_20190120_101713203.jpg

Back