Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Here is a Steelplate Load mady by Jered Slusser. The Engine is from my Friend Rod Walker.

SOO_CP_red_1_2000_zpsyotjqrjs.jpg

Great work Chris! Can you tell me more about the Bulkhead Cars you use? Thanks!

The AC car is a factory painted RTR car from Walthers. Just needs a little weathering eventually.

The CP car is kitbashed from a shortened MDC/Roundhouse flatcar with a shortened body (to 51'6" inside length), shortened and modified bulkheads and modified side sill profile. This one in particular was done by another member of my club but I have a couple of bodies on the workbench to make some copies for myself.

Some lumber loads I've been working on:

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

Details: http://vanderheide.ca/blog/lumber-loads/

When I used to hang out with my cousins in th olden days, lets get loaded meant something altogether different!

Chris,

I really like your lumber bulkhead cars there. BTW, who makes that red CP Rail car - is that a kit bashed MDC Bulkhead? It looks like nothing I've ever seen in HO and I've looked at various products. The otherone looks like a Walthers or maybe Trueline is it?

riogrande:

Correct. I mentioned this in an earlier reply further up.

The CP car is indeed kitbashed from an MDC car with a shortened body and bulkheads.

The AC car is a RTR factory-painted Walthers.

Chris:

Nostalgia of the olden days, I couldn't let that topic title by without a comment, (yes, I didn't see your earlier reply nor many others either *shrug*).

Thank for the info on those bulkheads. Always interesting to see something apart from the run of the mill which is why I'm excited about the Wheels Of Time bulkheads due out this spring.

Cheers, Jim Fitch
Manassas Virginia

Another lumber load finished off, this time with Weyerhaeuser logos and graphics. This load is a split between old (green logo on the bottom) and new (red logo on top) wraps. It's loosely based on a photo of a similar split load taken in the same year as my modelling target - the red graphics were just being introduced at the time.

IMG_5229.jpg

Not sure if the bare lumber showing along the bottom edge of one of the packs was deliberate or not, but I have seen photos of loads just like that. If intended, a nice touch.

Yeah, I don't get too worried if it's not perfect at the bottom. I've seen real wrappers almost half torn off.

I've got another half-dozen assembled loads that I'm finishing the strapping detail on right now with the chart tape. Here's one just finished: (OK, you can't really see that i'm not 100% done the opposite side yet... Also these loads still need the side retaining pieces added yet, but I'm all out of 2x6 strips.)

Normick-Perron (operator of several mills in northern Quebec in the 1980s-1990s):

IMG_5361.jpg

I'm pretty new to custom-building freight car loads. The Wolverine was my first ever custom load. It could probably use some paint, but the idea I had at the time was that it's bound for a museum on a private owner's equipment. The chains are laser-etch card, dyed with black ink and the tensioners are painted red. The stakes are scale 2"x4"s and the chocks and cannon brace were made from craft sticks.
IMG_20180214_235530624.jpg

IMG_20180901_212955748_LL.jpg

I made these log loads out of sticks from the maple tree out front. They have been glued together so there's no random logs tumbling off the club layout. The stakes on the left car are scale 2"x4" boards, and the stakes on the right car are toothpicks cut down and squished flat with a pliers. The flatcar decks have been painted and weathered and given a few piles of sawdust made from cutting the sticks with my razor saw.

Ive been given permission to play with the switches and industries on the branch line of my club's layout. Industries include a sawmill/lumberyard and a scrapyard, as well as others. I ran out and bought an Athearn Bulkhead flat with pipe load and an Athearn Mill Gondola with scrap load. The scrap load is pretty OK out of the box, but a little Rust and Weathered Black as well as some washing liven it up.

I model the 1970's Milwaukee Road, which didn't have Centerbeams until about 1978 and primarily used boxcars for lumber loads. I am, however, building some 8"x8" lumber loads for my bulkhead flat using craft sticks, and I may do some others just for the sake of showing off to visitors.
IMG_20180926_234758829.jpg

Back