LED Blue Light

max diyer

A year ago, I converted my layout lighting from fluorescent to LED and really like the bright light. But there's something that's been bugging me. I do the structure painting on my work bench, which has incandescent lighting. When I paint the concrete a close proto
color, then move it to the layout, the concrete takes on a blue hue. To me it's very noticeable and I don't like the blue tinted concrete.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, are you just living with it or do you have a fix?

The output of a light source is measured in Kelvins and a Kelvin is a unit of measurement used to describe the hue of a specific light source. The LEDs have a different Kelvin value than the original fluorescent lighting.

Some LED's have a distinct blue hue. You need a LED that has an output near 3200 Degrees Kelvin to have truer color rendition. The higher the Kelvin output, the whiter the light.

1578763847090.png

From Planet Bulb.-Greg

Hope this helps a little and sorry you may want to change the LEDs to obtain the color effects you want.

Greg

Greg - I never thought about that when I bought them. I was really impressed, until I started noticing the blue hue concrete. From what your saying, I have to replace the LED's, but that might be a while as I have $200 in these and there are other layout priorities, before I can replace them. Thanks Greg for the reply and the info.

Greg - I never thought about that when I bought them. I was really impressed, until I started noticing the blue hue concrete. From what your saying, I have to replace the LED's, but that might be a while as I have $200 in these and there are other layout priorities, before I can replace them. Thanks Greg for the reply and the info.
Change just half of them (alternate) and see if that helps.

Much better solution - replace the incandescent lighting around your workbench with LEDs. I replaced ALL the incandescent and fluorescent lamps in both the workshop and layout room with 5000K LEDs. Much, much better for my old eyes. Plus lots of light without the heat.

We replaced all of the lights in our house, garage and my workshop with LED lights a couple of years ago. Utility company offered rebates for the LEDs. Couldn't go wrong, saves money and we used the 5000K lights. More like natural sunlight and brighter, makes it easier to see! I no longer like the soft white, or yellow incandescent lights.

We replaced all of the lights in our house, garage and my workshop with LED lights a couple of years ago. Utility company offered rebates for the LEDs. Couldn't go wrong, saves money and we used the 5000K lights. More like natural sunlight and brighter, makes it easier to see! I no longer like the soft white, or yellow incandescent lights.

That's exactly what I did. I replaced every light in and out side of my house with LEDs worth it. The electric bill plummeted! In the garage I used 5000k I bought 6 units for the garage, 2 for the shop and 2 for my laundry room and 4 for my train room and worth every penny. I bought the units from Wally world at @ 20 bucks a pop! All other lights were daylight white LED bulbs for all my light fixtures.

Last edited:
I found a box that my LED fixtures came in. It says 5000K CCT daylight. Which if I understand correctly. It shouldn't have that much blue in it.

Looking back to Greg's #2 post. He stated I should have 3,200K and looking at the chart, it would have less blue.
I got it guys . . . thanks for the replies. I'm old school and this is the first I dealt with LED. I should of done my homework.
I learned the hard way.

Last edited:

Back