Layout Sizes

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
When I read the model railroading magazines and see posts on the different forums about layout sizes, I wonder what the forum members consider to be a small, medium or large model railroad?

I know that a HO 4 X 8 layout at 32 square feet is relatively small, but what in square foot measurements is a medium or large layout?

Without a doubt a model railroad like Howard Zane's is certainly a large layout at 2,850 square feet in size, but what size layouts are hidden in basements and garages across the county?

Thanks.

Greg

Small layouts are under 150 square feet of useable space. Medium are between 150-500 square feet. Large are upwards of 500 square feet, with Nirvana being in the 2000 square foot range and up. This is just my own standards. They would vary based upon the locale. For example, in Amsterdam, a large layout might be in the 250 square foot range.

That's a good question Greg. What also has to be considered is the addition of a second level. That can greatly increase the size of a layout.

My layout occupies about 340 square feet, which I would consider a medium size railroad. When I was starting it, I had considered going to a two level layout which would double the size of the layout, but lazies and common sense kicked in and I decided to stick with a single level.

Of course, a 4 x 8 layout is small, but many people just don't have the room for anything larger.

Kens D&J is without a doubt is what I would consider a large layout. My friend in Missouri has been granted his entire basement which occupies 3,200 square feet. It is enormous and very well planned and all on one level. It can easily keep 15 or 16 operators busy on operating sessions, but is also a lot of fun to run alone.

It is all somewhat relative. Comparing a 4' x 8' at 32 square feet is not the same as Howard's 2850 square feet. Much of Howard's 2850 is aisles etc. How much is actual layout? That 4' x 8' may actually be in a 12' x 16' room, thus making it 192 square feet! My layout is in a 20' x 32' building at 640 square feet (approx due to wall thickness), but I only have 360 square feet of layout surface. Multiply that by 2 levels so I actually have 720 square feet of layout in a 640 square feet room! Just trying to confuse things a bit. Howard's layout is still pretty big, more than I think that I could maintain. Watch some of his videos and note the dust and spiderwebs on some parts. I'm not meaning to bash him, just noting it.

Willie

I thought we just did this thread topic last summer or so...

Lets see, small - yeah I agree with a prior poster under 100 feet (of actual layout).
Medium is harder - obviously 100, to ... I'm going to go with 1375 square feet (of layout space).
Large is bigger than that.

Dust and spiderwebs are a problem on a large layout even when it is down for maintenance once a week. It is a constant problem at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum (about 5500 square feet, multi-level). I had a friend visit the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry layout, he said almost the whole thing was derailed trains, cobwebs, and dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, going to throw a spanner in here just to confuse things even more ... a HO Layout of say 100' of track might be small/medium but 100' of N Scale could be considered larger due to the scale - you get more bang for your buck so to speak. I think that reasoning would apply to the square feet of the layout too, a HO layout of 100 square feet wouldn't be as large as an N Scale layout of the same area. Of course I am referring to what can be achieved by both scales using the same space etc.

Back