Layout Progress.

ScottoT

I'm sure that quite a few of you suspected that I had fallen off the grid or given up on building my layout.

Well, actually I have been quite busy.

When I last posted I had the backdrop wall built IMG-8542, and then the wall benchwork DSC-0185

From there I got the right hand side peninsula sections complete - IMG4432

Then starting work on the Left hand Side Peninsula sections. IMG-4332.

I've got two more sections to complete on the left side as you can see in IMG-4431.

I've started printing out the main component sections of my layout design so I can put them in place on the foamboard on top of my layout and start placing my track in the correct position. Once that is complete it will be time for wiring, and debugging, and re-wiring and then maybe by the time mid-summer rolls around I will actually be able to run trains.

Attachments

• IMG-8542.JPG
    IMG-8542.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0185_Adj_Crop_Re.jpg
    DSC_0185_Adj_Crop_Re.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 220
Looking good. I will agree with it being a great start. What era are you planning on modeling?

Really nice progress Scott. Are you still intending to model the auto industry in HO?

Willie
Yes I am. I'm going to have a scaled down auto rack loading facility, and since there are rural areas in the vicinity, I also have a grain facility that will be on one of my 4 sidings, still trying to figure out a couple others.

Got some more progress made today. 85% done with the right hand peninsula, the section to the outside of the LH side pole needs to have the foam board glued to it, and the section immediately to it's right, that surrounds the pole, the foam isn't adhering properly so I have re-weighted the foam down.
IMG_4451.jpg
IMG_4452.jpeg

Looking good! However, you need to take a hacksaw to those steel posts that run up through the layout! :eek: They really don't do anything...except support that I-beam holding up the floor above you! o_O;) Keep up the progress reports. It's almost like doing it ourselves...except without our sweat and aches and pains! :D

Looking good. I will agree with it being a great start. What era are you planning on modeling?
Sorry Chet, somehow I over-looked your post. I'm modeling mid-late 90's to current era CN track (very loosely based on the area of Michigan where I live) we have many auto-racks and intermodal, as well as many mixed freight consists. There will be guest appearances from BNSF, CSX and NS locomotives.

Scott,

Is the rack on the outside curve the Atlas articulated? If so how do you like them?, and how do they run?

Thanks,

Scott,

Is the rack on the outside curve the Atlas articulated? If so how do you like them?, and how do they run?

Thanks,

Yes it is, and in the little bit ran it on that 5' x 8' oval I had it ran well. Looking forward to seeing it on the wider spaces of this new build.

got the legs cut as well as the plywood top and foam piece for the final section. Nothing is fully assembled yet, ran out of time today but I am getting close.
IMG_4473.jpg
IMG_4472.jpg

Scott, looks to be a good start on the layout. I tried the self painted clouds, the walls are back to all blue...lol. I have the open grid bench work with 2" foam board on top, no plywood, what made you decide to use plywood under the foam? I just didn't want the added expense......

Scott, looks to be a good start on the layout. I tried the self painted clouds, the walls are back to all blue...lol. I have the open grid bench work with 2" foam board on top, no plywood, what made you decide to use plywood under the foam? I just didn't want the added expense......

I didn't trust my construction skills, lol. I figured it would be better if it was "over built" than not.

Actually it's only 1/4" plywood instead of half or 3/4, and I went with thinner foam board and not 2".

...what made you decide to use plywood under the foam? I just didn't want the added expense...

If you ever have to crawl up on your layout for some reason, you'll be glad you have a solid base. I know plywood is expensive these days, but it's something you only have to buy once, and it's the foundation of your layout. Just think of how upset you'd be if you leaned on the foam and it cracked. I design my layout to take the full weight of somebody crawling across it on their hands and knees. For me, that meant boards on 2 foot centers and 1/2" plywood. Basically I wanted it to never warp or sag. I guess a lot depends on your budget and just how big the layout it. But in general, it's an investment in your layout.

Yes, I realize that there are plenty of guys who build out of foam and it works fine. I tend to over-engineer, but it's hard to go back after the fact and make it stronger.

I also ensure I have at least 1/2" ply as my base on which to sit the foam. I view foam as nothing more than easy material to carve and for scenery purposes, definitely not for any structural purpose, not even for my wife's 26" X 18" layout.

Not only does using ply give you a "solid" base for everything that will sit on it but it also gives strength and added solidity to the frame work, something foam alone will not do.

Reactions: bob

Back