Layout on a bifold door

Kevin

Hey Everyone,

So I have been stockpiling HO and N scale equipment, track, structures, and other parts in preparation of starting a permanent layout. That seems to be a little bit off in the distance. However, I have a bifold door. Each piece measures 78in long and 15in wide(Deep). I will be setting it up in the bedroom on top of a dresser along the wall. I have done my googling and haven't been able to find any plans that would match up with it. I was thinking of a Timesaver of some kind. Something to let me get some practice on but still enjoy. What scale would be good for it, HO or N? I had planned on opening it up and putting one side along the wall and the other parallel with the dresser. Then I could adhere foam board on both sides and let the wife have some fun doing up a backdrop to it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to here.
Others would say better, but you'd get more train on that in N-scale than HO. You could do a switch yard in HO and have a nice setup, but could do an oval with shorter cars and engines with some switching in N.

HI, I am also planning to do a layout on a bifold door due to space considerations. You can go with 15 inch radius HO track (providing your engines and rolling stock are not too big. (I have MTH Subway cars and they do fine around that radius curve) and use a 36 inch wide door. Also I saw in one or the home improvement chains that a 48" by 80" bifold door is available. That gives you plenty of room.

Are you keeping the door halves together at 30” X 78” or using them separately as two 15” X 156” pieces? If so an “L” shaped layout in a corner would be possible.
Oh, and welcome!

Thanks Rico. My plan is to keeping them hinged against the wall and folding them flat to store when not in use. I will use a chain to suspend and support the ends once deployed. I picture it in my mind have to put it on paper.

I built two small N scale layouts. My experience was that 24" was a minimum width to do anything decent. By that I mean, reliable with almost any locos and cars, and allowing adequate space between the front track and the module front, to ballast and grade realistically. 30" is easy to work with in N.

Back