Layout for son and dad

Rabman

37C22224-B97D-405B-8464-3FE11054591E.jpeg
204D628C-589F-4429-AFF5-7938BF3E5382.jpeg

So I am going to put together a layout for my son (almost 5-years old) and I to bond over. Something other than Lego.

So I have designed this in XtrackCad. I think this is about as much space as my wife will allow. It will be located in a part of our rec room.

I am looking to do something with a couple loops, DCC, I think the outer loop is 22” and the inner one is 20”. I am going off the Peco track models, radius 1 and 2 so I could b wrong. The outer loop by the tunnel will have a little elevation of 2” for some added interest. I will cut the river into the foam board. The bridges on the outer loop will be slightly elevated due to the grade and the inner bridge will be around top of foam elevation.

Not sure what the theme will be but was going to do some industries. I do have a number of new Peco turnouts that I bought at a garage sale so I will try to use them. I also have a double slip switch that I did not see an area for.

I think we will have a farm in the corner that just out so my son can play around with some vehicles pushing them around. I am planning on a plywood has with foam on top. Waterfall off the mountain.

I think I will make the Benchwork in a few pieces to be able to get it out of the basement one day. Not sure how I would seam the scenery together so it can be disassembled without destroying it.

What are your thoughts on the layout and disassembly in the distant future?

Looks like a very interactive layout and nicely designed as well.

What you are describing sounds like a "Modular Layout" and I have no experience in them at all so can't offer any suggestions about mobility or scenery security sorry.

The purpose of the casters is to be able to access to back in the event of a derailment and during build.

I am not intending to move it until we no longer use it (hope never) or we move (no plans).

That looks like a good plan to keep both of you busy. I always enjoy it when my grand kids come over and want to go down to the trainroom and run trains. One little guy, age 6 has figured out how to operate Kadee couplers using magnets and he just loves switching.

Post photos as your build progresses.

I’m intending on using magnets and Kadee couplers. I think my son will love switching rolling stock. I also saw someone used a pager motor to activate the coupler with a thread. Controlled through Dcc. Looked interesting.

So I have reviewed my switches and components. I have a mixture of Peco Large Radius (2 LH and 1 RH), Medium (2 LH and 3 RH) and Small turnouts (1 LH and 1 RH), and a Medium 3-Way. I know that I didn't draw the layout with these size turnouts. I think I used all Medium. I think I will use the Large Radius LH from the outer to the inner Loop. The Small Radius Turnouts on two industrial spurs, and the Mediums off the diagonals and from the inner to the outer loop. That won't leave me enough, but I have four Atlas Turnouts roughly the size of the Medium Peco's that I can use for some spur tracks.

The question is should I use them and mix them with the Peco turnouts or try to sell them and buy more Pecos?

The question is should I use them and mix them with the Peco turnouts or try to sell them and buy more Pecos?
I mix them all the time.

A bigger issue is going to be whether those Pecos are electrofrog or insulfrog. Electrofrog require a few more insulated rail joiners.

The 9 foot long straight edge. The long side with the bump out is the front.
I believe that will dictate remote control turnouts, and even at that, I think it will be pulled out for most of the time. There will be lots of action back there.

I mix them all the time.

A bigger issue is going to be whether those Pecos are electrofrog or insulfrog. Electrofrog require a few more insulated rail joiners.

They Peco’s are all insulfrogs. The atlas switches look like they have plastic frogs as well. Any idea is the atlas and Peco’s behave differently electricly?

I believe that will dictate remote control turnouts, and even at that, I think it will be pulled out for most of the time. There will be lots of action back there.

I was intending to make all the turnouts electric. Hopefully we can leave it against the wall if possible during operation. It will probably be out for the duration of the build. Don’t tell my wife.

Any idea is the atlas and Peco’s behave differently electricly?
I can tell you that the Peco turnouts are a better turnout and, from all accounts, more reliable. All of the turnouts I use are Peco Insulfrogs and, not withstanding my own errors, I have never had an issue with the Peco Insulfrog turnouts themselves be it their operation or getting power. As such, they would be my recommendation.

As I think was mentioned, electrofrogs will (almost) guarantee you a constant power to the turnout; however, the frogs (I think it is) have to be wired and you will need insulated rail joiners as well. If you are good with electrical stuff then I would opt for electrofrogs over insulfrogs.

I am going to see exactly how many additional turnouts I need on the weekend. I will bite the bullet and buy more Peco’s. I do have a number of Peco’s with insulfrogs so I will stick with them.

If you want to save some money on the Peco turnouts, take a look at Hatton's in the UK. Buying them from there could save you any where between $2 or $3 to $7 or $8 per turnout. I bought all my Peco track and turnouts from them and ended up saving around $175 (US).

Just as a guide, an N Scale Peco Insulfrog Turnout is $14.10 (US) compared to $15.99 (US) on sale, or $22.99 regular price here. Just a thought, oh and shipping costs aren't that much more than here either. I'm on the East Coast and from the time I placed the order to having it my hand was (almost) exactly 72 hours to the minute.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly check them out. Actually a friend is visiting me from London in July. Maybe I will se if he wants to bring some contraband with him if it makes a big difference.

If you want to save some money on the Peco turnouts, take a look at Hatton's in the UK. Buying them from there could save you any where between $2 or $3 to $7 or $8 per turnout. I bought all my Peco track and turnouts from them and ended up saving around $175 (US).

Just as a guide, an N Scale Peco Insulfrog Turnout is $14.10 (US) compared to $15.99 (US) on sale, or $22.99 regular price here. Just a thought, oh and shipping costs aren't that much more than here either. I'm on the East Coast and from the time I placed the order to having it my hand was (almost) exactly 72 hours to the minute.

By the way, I have about 13 various N gauge Peco insulfrogs turnouts for sale if you are looking for any. I can beat those prices. They are brand new in the boxes. The ad is listed in the buy and sell forum.

Back