Layout for son and dad

I thought about that. I need to redraw the layout with the proper radius curves and I will try to incorporate it is space allows.

I don't think I have the space for the elevation gain to get a bridge in there. It is my intention to use only nickel-silver.
And it is not like the crossing is two main lines crossing. It is a main crossing a spur (or if one counts the reversing loop crossing a branch). I rather like the crossing, it adds some interest.

I liked the crossing also. Not sure I will be able to fit it with the larger radius curves. I am playing around with both the crossing and bridge concepts in cad. See which one works out if both do I will decide by which will look most interesting.

Well I tried to get a crossing in the design but could get it right and have larger curves. I redesign things with a 2nd radius inner curves and 3rd radius outer curves. I added the complete reverse loop track, so three tracks go through the mountain. I think it is looking pretty good. I don't have any elevations in the design just yet. The roads haven't been relocated yet.
Track Layout 15 - Track Only.jpg

So here is the design with the bridges moved. I think this may be the keeper.

I went out an bought the flex track and wood to make the bench-work today. I think I am going to start out making this DC, not DCC. I do intend on making it DCC in the future.

Any advice in where to locate the seams on the bench-work? I am intending on making it in a few segments as I don't believe I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood or foam down the stairs of my basement.

The steps I intend on following are:
1) Build the bench work
2) Install plywood on the top of the bench work
3) Glue foam to the plywood
4) Prime the foam and bench work
5) Lay out the track layout on the foam
6) pin the track to the foam to try out the layout to see if there are clearance issues
7) Install the cork and glue it down
8) Glue track down to the cork.
9( Cut out the foam for the river and install the bridges
10) Install scenery.

This list isn't meant to be exhaustive. I have left out wiring, etc.

Track Layout 16 - Complete.jpg
Thoughts?

So here are some updated CAD drawings showing the bench work super imposed with the plywood base showing and not showing. The different colours are the four pieces of plywood to facilitate getting it in to the basement. The plywood does go over the bench work, but I have it below the layer level of the bench work so it is visible. It doesn't appear there is any interference with the under surface switch machines I will have. Though some is close, about 1-1/4" away from track centerline.

The bench work will be constructed with 1"x 3-1/2" fascia, shown in brown (Notty Pine), and 1" x 1-7/8" (Notty Pine or plywood) bench work structure and 2" x 3" (Pine). I am using 5/8" plywood underlay with 1" blue foam above it. The plywood will butt up against the inner edge of the fascia board and sit on top of the bench work. The top of the fascia is at the top of the foam elevation.

I will glue and screw everything.

I will see if there is too much deflection in the arrangement. I am intending on having either 4 or 6 legs depending on how it turns out. If I do, I will beef up the structure afterwards a bit.

Any thoughts on the whether you think the design as is will be problematic?

Track Layout 17 - Complete with Plywood.jpg
Track Layout 17 - Complete without Plywood.jpg

Last edited:
Should be plenty strong with 5/8 plywood screwed and glued. I used 1X4s with 1/2 inch plywood decking glued and screwed, and its rock solid. looks like a nice plan. Keep us up to date.

Should be plenty strong with 5/8 plywood screwed and glued. I used 1X4s with 1/2 inch plywood decking glued and screwed, and its rock solid. looks like a nice plan. Keep us up to date.
Thanks for the info. If it is a little wobbly, I will attach 1" x 3" lumber to the bottom of the 1 x 1-7/8" lumber to act as the flange of an I-beam. Hopefully it won't be required.

Thanks for the info. If it is a little wobbly, I will attach 1" x 3" lumber to the bottom of the 1 x 1-7/8" lumber to act as the flange of an I-beam. Hopefully it won't be required.

Use cross bracing on the legs, and tie them to the table frame. This will take all wobble out in case you bump it, trains wont tip.

Another thing you could do is, put some 1X3s along the legs, and sheet it in plywood for shelfs. It would be very handy for storing scenery supplies, locos, rolling stock, tools. I plan on doing a couple of 8FT shelves under my layout. Everything I need is in several different areas, and cant be found when needed. This way its always in the general area.

Use cross bracing on the legs, and tie them to the table frame. This will take all wobble out in case you bump it, trains wont tip.
Good to know. I was referring to the deflection in the table top, not the legs. I haven’t thought about the legs just yet.

Another thing you could do is, put some 1X3s along the legs, and sheet it in plywood for shelfs. It would be very handy for storing scenery supplies, locos, rolling stock, tools. I plan on doing a couple of 8FT shelves under my layout. Everything I need is in several different areas, and cant be found when needed. This way its always in the general area.
Good idea about the shelves.

So working with my son yesterday, we got most of the lumber cut for the benchwork.

Progress!

F10421C9-183F-4897-85AC-1460E307D479.jpeg

The 9 foot long straight edge. The long side with the bump out is the front.
Is this layout free standing, or, is the straight 9' edge anchored to the wall ? If so you'll find it very tough to reach a stalled /derailed /uncoupled, or to be coupled train in the rear areas. Would it be impossible to turn bench 90deg. and have the 4' edge against the wall so as to be able to walk around the 3 longer length sides..?...Just mentioning this as lots of people don't think of this before it's too late..M

The layout will be free standing with the 9 foot against the wall (I will be able to pull it out). I have about 17 inches at the 4 foot side so I will be able to walk around the back when I pull the layout away from the wall if required. If my belly doesn't allow will me scoot through, I will send my son.

My wife would kill me if I rotated it to the wall. I would stick out to much in to the rest of our family room.

So here is the progress on the benchwork so far. Happy with the way it is coming together.

I still have some plywood to install on the top and the fascia. Then the legs.

Layout 3.jpg
Layout 2.jpg
Layout 1.jpg

Back