Layout Background Sounds

max diyer

While you are running operations, doing construction or catching up on maintanence - what are you listening to? Music, watch videos or TV or just listen to the train sounds?

I'm getting into the holiday spirit, so I'm listening to Christmas music. I use to watch RR & MRR videos until I attached a finger to a part with CA glue! The part & finger did not fair well.

Last edited:
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation FM1, which is their 85% talk radio station. I listen to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap, or Ideas, Sunday Morning with Michael Enright.. that kind of thing.

I am just in the planning phase right now, but when I get some time to actually sit and sketch ideas or read up on techniques I’ll listen to anything from audio books(fantasy) to heavy metal to punk or even Christmas music. All depends on how much focus I need for the task at hand and what type of mood I’m in.

Good replies fellas!

Chet - I had a neighbor that had one of those cattle cars, he would turn it on just to irritate me. ;):mad::)
Greg - good link !
Rick - interesting link, but I can't get it to play. I'll have to work at it later.

While you are running operations, doing construction or catching up on maintanence - what are you listening to?
Oh, from the title, I thought you were going to talk about background sounds ON the layout such as a rushing stream, birds chirping, mill milling, autos on a city street, etc.

For me it is just background music. Anything visual is too distracting for super detail work.

When we lived in Arizona, I would play recordings of trains while running them on my layout. Starting a new switching layout now and I may listen to classical rock, news, radio plays or classical music, especially Bach or Vivaldi. I really like Baroque period music, even though I don't know much about it other than I like it. SiriusXM gives a lot of options!

On Saturdays at 5:00 in the afternoons, I used to listen to PBS's Prairie Home Companion. I really don't care to much for the replacement "Live from Here" with Chris Thile. Now, it is very rare that I listen to anything! I just get into whatever project I'm involved with and really don't need any background stuff going on!

Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk were my favorite shows on NPR. Until recently, 89.9 WCBU out of Peoria aired the repackaged Best Of Car Talk. Sadly, it's true, all good things come to an end.

I usually have a movie the wife doesn't like to watch or some other TV show on. This weekend I was watching a set of railroad history DVDs that one of the kids got for me years ago. I need noise in the background and usually Hallmark Channel movie noises from upstairs don't do it for me.

While you are running operations, doing construction or catching up on maintanence - what are you listening to? Music, watch videos or TV or just listen to the train sounds?

I'm getting into the holiday spirit, so I'm listening to Christmas music. I use to watch RR & MRR videos until I attached a finger to a part with CA glue! The part & finger did not fair well.
It all depends on what I'm doing. If I'm operating I listen to the sounds of the locomotives with sound. If I'm doing scenery, or building a structure or maintenance I will have either Doo Wop or all instrumentals playing.

Guess I'm the 'odd-man-out' on this subject, since I usually prefer it to be quiet when I'm doing layout stuff other than running trains. This way I can hear when somebody is leaving or coming home [layout is in the garage], or when an Amazon or other online-ordered package gets dropped-off. I also like hearing the sound of the wind when a strong one kicks-up, makes it seem kind of cozy inside!

Ken - there are times when I prefer the quiet. Especially when I'm doing small detail work - I don't want any distractions. I also like the sounds of the trains running. That is music to my ears!

Back