Laura's Book Store (DPM kit)

Olie

So here is my latest building. Took a lot longer than I had hoped, I only have two week of vacation to get a bunch of stuff done. Laura (my wife) is a bookworm. She works at a library she loves books that much. So, naturally, a bookstore should be named after her. Problem is, she wanted custom paint. The white on the face had to have some "sparkle" to it. Wicked Colors White Pearl applied over the flat white gave it sparkle. Pics don't really do the paint much justice but I have to say, it does add a different look to it. It's growing on me. I'd have to say, the most tedious part were the window shades. I got half way done and realized I used bright white paper. Should have used a manilla envelope or something with a bit of yellow but oh well. Here it is:
20180709_163249.jpg20180709_163311.jpg20180710_105510.jpg20180711_105042.jpg20180711_105052.jpg20180711_105116.jpg20180711_105121.jpg20180711_105123.jpg20180711_105129.jpg20180711_121302.jpg

Looking good Olie! I know what you mean about having a 2 week vacation to get things done. That was me the last two weeks. Now I’m back to work, and it don’t seem like I got everything accomplished I set out to do.

Olie - that is some nice work on the bookstore. It will be a nice addition to your layout. What is that metal-looking base that you have it on, evidently a work surface?

Olie - that is some nice work on the bookstore. It will be a nice addition to your layout. What is that metal-looking base that you have it on, evidently a work surface?
Its a piece of 12x24 sheet metal, I forget what gauge. I glued it down to an extra piece of plywood I had laying around then primed the metal with some rattle can primer. Makes a nice flat surface and throw in a couple magnets and you've got a magnetic gluing jig. They're made commercially as well. https://www.micromark.com/Magnetic-Gluing-Jig-10-1-4-Inch-Square
All in all, I'd say mine cost about $20 and very little labor. Most expensive piece was the sheet metal at around $15 if memory serves.

Really good looking building. Are you planning to install Arduino controlled lighting? ;)
Yes. I'm going to get the bulk of the buildings I still have to build and get an overall idea of the street scene. Once I'm there, the Arduino will control the lighting inside and outside the buildings as well as the street lamps. I'd really like to set up the street lamps to flicker like oil or gas lamps did but the transition era had electricity as the main source of lighting. Hell, it's my layout, I'll do what I want!!!

I'd really like to set up the street lamps to flicker like oil or gas lamps did but the transition era had electricity as the main source of lighting. Hell, it's my layout, I'll do what I want!!!

I can still remember the street light on the corner next to our house. In the days before "solar sensors", they were on a timer. I don't know what type of bulbs they were, but they seemed to take forever (to a kid) to come on. The rule of the house was that "When the street lights start, head home. When they are on, be home." I always tried to cut it as close as possible. Anyway, to simulate that, I have an Arduino sketch (actually two, one for incandescent, one for LED) that slowly increases the brightness. Now all I have to do is get back to work on the layout once the garden is fully in!

Olie,

I "think" Micro Engineering sells a gizmo that replicates a flickering light. Can't remember exactly what it was or how it worked. IF it is what I am recalling, you might be able to hook up your street lights to it.

Yes. I'm going to get the bulk of the buildings I still have to build and get an overall idea of the street scene. Once I'm there, the Arduino will control the lighting inside and outside the buildings as well as the street lamps. I'd really like to set up the street lamps to flicker like oil or gas lamps did but the transition era had electricity as the main source of lighting. Hell, it's my layout, I'll do what I want!!!

Really looking forward to this, The Arduino should work very well for this application!

Back