Latest Layout Plan

To put this into a bit of perspective, I operated my roundy-round with a second level switching deck twice, and I was already bored. My switching deck has 4 industries, capacity for 9 cars total, a siding with runaround, and is serviced by either a Local, a Turn, or Dedicated switcher. If I had to switch 18 cars (9 in, 9 out), that would be an interesting session.

But, after the second go-around, it was too much like work. Anything less, it was too easy and I got bored. There was really no variety. Or, more appropriate, not enough variety.

So, even if you plan for operations, and can envision how your layout fits in the grand scheme of the RR world, there is the possibility that it will become unfullfilling. And, you won't really know until you've spent the time and effort to build it.

Just as an aside, I probably haven't operated that switching part in probably 18mo. It took me maybe 2weeks of evenings to put it together, ran it twice, and am now bored with it.

But, I have run the roundy-round a few times more. But, I'm mainly acquiring stuff and test-running, not operating.....

:/

Kennedy

Alright... you guys are wearing me down. Can someone point me to an example of a good 5x8 layout?

I absolutely do want some type of continuous loop and I would like to keep my double crossover because I think it's cool.

So, take those two elements and show me what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Doug

The one I showed you earlier has three loops, like your's, but there is a here to there feel.

Take a look at the 4 x 8 design contest.

And by all means, look at my Beginner's Guide to Layout Design This takes about 5 minutes and is designed to help people figure out what they need to think about when starting a model railroad project.

Back