Labelle HO-43 Caboose

Vince-RA

Finally finished this one up after a looooong time working on it, and another loooong time painting it. I ended up going to my local gaming store to purchase some nice detail paint brushes intended for painting gaming miniatures - worked great on the trim for this once I got the hang of them. Can't believe I have let myself suffer with crappy walmart craft section brushes for so long. Main color is an old bottle of Polly Scale Mineral Red - pretty close to Boxcar Red but a little cooler to my eye, looks nice. Roof, platforms, and grab irons are Grimy Black, and the trim is Reefer White. If I had known how much time it would add to the painting I probably I would not have painted the trim white, what a huge pain! It came with decals for the Soo Line, but I will most likely place custom decals at some point instead.

Made lots of mistakes on this build, including putting the end railings in place before painting the ends, doh! Never again, made it much harder than it needed to be. There is a lot of dust on the inside of the windows, which are now inaccessible, so I'm going to have to let that go :) The kit came with straight plastic ladders, but the instructions didn't mention them. I'm inclined to leave them off for now, maybe if I get ambitious I'll solder up some metal ladders with a curved top. Completely straight ladders just don't look right to me on a caboose.

As usual with Labelle models:
  1. With patience, it builds a really nice car
  2. The instructions are not great in places
  3. It comes with more stripwood than the instructions mention, and in a couple places did not come with the stripwood the instructions did mention
I keep thinking about getting a chess clock or similar to keep track of the time I spend on these kits, but then, I'm not sure I really want to know!

Attachments

• labelle_ho_43.JPG
    labelle_ho_43.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 62

Back