Several weeks ago I was at a swap meet, and there was a Mantua Mikado for sale. This was one of the real old zamack models with the gearbox and a large open-frame motor (Pittman xxx ?) Took it home and put it on my layout. First thing I noticed was it required almost 80% of the throttle to get it moving at all. Current reading was about 1-1/2 amp! The engine (lead) truck kept derailing, no matter what I did to it. Looking carefully, I discovered the radius of the truck frame was much shorter than all I'd seen over the years. Pivot bolster corresponded with the length of the truck frame! No way to mount a long-radius truck. Decided to turn it into an 0-8-0 by removing the lead and trailing trucks. (The Burlington did this on one of their mikes.) But, what about that high current drain? Decided to change the motor and install a can motor I happened to have laying around. Got that done. Same thing! High current and high throttle setting required to get it moving. Decided to check the running gear. Then the "fun" began! Turns out whoever assembled the valve gear got those tiny rivets too tight on the righthand gear. (I've assembled these from basic kits without problems, but you have to be very careful not to peen them too hard!) It is very difficult to un-peen those rivets! I used an Exacto knife blade and was able to loosen them up...a bit. Not sure if it is enough. Another problem: the main rod bushing was missing on one side. Ordered a set of Pacific gear, which had both bushings, although one is a bit loose. Decided to change out the main driver with one of a bunch I have from previous projects. Picked the wrong size gear! A problem with this model is that the driver cover plate is one piece with the part of the frame that supports the cylinder. Remove the cover plate and the cylinder gets moved, which detaches the crosshead guides from the support bracket cast into the frame. Aligning the pistol rod, valve rod and the crosshead guide on each side and then aligning the rear of the guides with the bracket is a bear! You basically have to disconnect the screws holding the main rods to the bushing, and two connecting rods! Putting them back together is enough to drive you to drink! And I don't drink! Decided to take a break. Not sure if the valve gear is loosened enough. Stay tuned!