Kit-Bashing of buildings, Contest announced!!!

Shirley, You mean that all your buildings on your layout are built stock? Not one change to a design?

Wow there's some nice stuff entered here!
Most of my buildings are boxed up just now but here's one I made from a familiar Walthers kit.
The stack is actually a wooden table leg!
This now resides on John Longhurst's Manitoba and Minnesota Subdivision layout. (John's photo)

IMG_2716.JPG

Mark: What about entering a group of kit bashed Walther's background buildings that comprise an industrial area? The buildings are side to side.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, Your question has already been answered as Rico and GarryCB&Q, have entered pretty much what you're talking about.

Mark: I guess I should of been more precise in my question. I would combine different types or styles of Cornerstone buildings, not use a multiple of the same building as I believe Rico and Garry which both did to create their excellent model structures. Perhaps I'm wrong in methods.

Sort of an industrial Merchant's Row or DownDeco backstreet project.

Greg

Greg, Your entry has to be one building, not a group. So, pick-out the one building that you like best and enter it.

It's Thursday again and time for another "Bump"!

I just counted, and I see that there are six entrants into this contest. The 31st of March, 2019, is seventeen days away from today! All entrants to this contest must be submitted before the end of the month. This means that you can enter this contest up until Sunday, Midnight, March 31st, 2019.

I originally thought that you guys would have scads of Kit-Bashed structures on your layouts and there would be plenty of entries in this contest. This doesn't appear to be the case; or, the prize is insufficient for the contest, who knows? We still have time, if you are interested. If you are considering entering this contest, please do so!

Here is the winner's prize!

HOMRS.jpg

Over at the TrainBoard, they are running several Contests! Wonder why building type contests are so poorly represented here on the ModelRailroadForum? I did this once before with a "Build a Freight Car kit" as the basis and even went so far as to have the prize be a Red Caboose Freight Car Kit that I mailed to the winner. That contest had O.K. participation; but, nothing to write home about! I'm wondering just how popular an activity Model Railroading is now-a-days? It's certain that the "Building Models" portion of this hobby has taken a back seat to general life in what ever lane you are in!

Over at the TrainBoard, they are running several Contests! Wonder why building type contests are so poorly represented here on the ModelRailroadForum? I did this once before with a "Build a Freight Car kit" as the basis and even went so far as to have the prize be a Red Caboose Freight Car Kit that I mailed to the winner. That contest had O.K. participation; but, nothing to write home about! I'm wondering just how popular an activity Model Railroading is now-a-days? It's certain that the "Building Models" portion of this hobby has taken a back seat to general life in what ever lane you are in!
My opinion is that it has nothing to do with building models specifically and more to do with the few number of regularly active participants on this board. While our host claims it is the largest model railroad board (and very well might be message wise), it is the most dead of most any I've participated on. On the forum "on the other side of the tracks", I had to check hourly to keep up. Here I can keep up by signing in every other day - and still be amazed at the nothingness. For the number of sections and "discussion" boards set up, there just isn't the critical mass of users to keep them going. As such posts and entire discussions get lost and forgotten about. That isn't a way to attract new participants. Then there is the coffee shop that further sucks good posts that would be better served up in the appropriate category threads. Just before you joined I was ready to give up. Tony had stopped posting, and we had lost a couple other regulars that vanished and the forum was dead. I would say something like three weeks with almost no posts other than the coffee shop. And then there are the few people who actually kill conversations. Heaven forbid a thread that could morph into something very interesting is killed because to OP jumps in and says that "is not the topic of MY thread". As such the subject matter is exhausted the conversation is killed and it just becomes one of the other thousands of threads just laying around in history that no one will read again. Or the opposite, someone will start 10 threads where the answer is a one line response, or the topic is so close to others that they just obfuscate and dilute the interesting topics.

For contests and similar things to work I think we need at least 4 times the number of people active on a daily basis. How to make that happen I don't know. I tried stuff about two years ago but had no results and have given up.

Iron Horseman:

I agree with much of what you said in your post. I belong to two other Model Railroad Forums, the Railroad Line Forums (which maybe a more technical forum...orientated towards the more experienced modeler) and the Model Train Forum (who appears to have a more active membership and a similar variety of subjects like this Forum). I participate in this Forum more than the other Forums where I normally merely just surf the topics on the other Forum.

I enjoy the Morning Coffee Shop with the stories, experiences and photographs that are shared by the members. I may be guilty of posting information or problems in the Coffee Shop that could be the the material or the topic of another separate Thread.

This Forum is very readable and I think there's a lot of modelers who may just surf this Forum like I do the other Forums.

Morphing away from the main subject......

This model contest may lack participation due to several reasons:

- Most model contests are done live and the models can be seen in person and up close.

- The are a lot of very talented modelers in this group and this may discourage less experienced modelers who may be gun shy and not enter their structures in the contest.

- The timing is bad. This is the time of the year when a lot of modelers start focusing on other outdoor interests and their interest in model railroading is waning.

- Or in the case of this contest, perhaps not everyone kit bashes their model structures or kit bash structures to the extend to make their models candidates for a kit bashing model contest.

Could the Forum members vote and select the winner of any model contest?

Just my opinions.

Greg

I would not be averse to the members/participants making the selection of a winner.

Then there is the coffee shop that further sucks good posts that would be better served up in the appropriate category threads.

Horseman: FWIW, you're right about the coffee shop attracting good posts, that would be categorized in other forums. Many times, things just happen in the coffee shop, that are more formalized elsewhere. Since I hang out in the Coffee Shop, I'm less likely to look at other topics, which is really my loss.

I check over the whole Forum every morning, looking for interesting discussions going on. Most days there doesn't seem to be much new posts in any forum, except the ANPL Coffee Shop. I post in the ModelTrainForum and do Model Railroading year round, even though I have other interests that come into play during the warm seasons. I could see that for some reason, the ANPL Coffee Shop stayed busy all the time. I have no clue why, even though some have attempted to explain why it stays busy. In the end, a; "If you can't beat them, join them" mentality took over and I started posting their regularly. I agree that the ANPL Coffee Shop sort of sucks the "Brain Truss" out of the rest of this forum. I also do't see the other forums I participate at, as any better than this one!

Since I doubt that there will be a flurry of people stating that they want to be a part of the judging of this contest, I will do it. There are 15 days left to get your entries in, before this contest ends on March 31st, 2019.

Got plans in my head on doing some kitbashing -- but that's as far as it's gone. BTW, that's an excellent book you're giving away (I have a copy), and I regret that many of the kits Curren used are no longer in production and seem to cost plenty when they can be found.

And so it goes...

I've found kits for reasonable prices on Ebay. The Gambol, Waite and Hope building I just finished building in my Northern Pacific overview thread was, at the time Art Curren's book was published, made by AHM. When I bought the two kits I used to build mine, they where manufactured by Tyco and I also think that the kits where made by Model Power at one time, also. Just now I found the Tyco Freight Station I used for the G,W & H kit on Ebay for $29.99. That is a fairly high price. At the time that I bought mine, I don't think I paid over $20.00 each for mine and I didn't buy both kits at the same time; but, over a period of a couple/few months. What I'm getting at is; just because a kit is no longer in production doesn't mean that it can't be found with some perseverance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again it is Thursday and I'm bringing this thread back to a little more prominence to keep it alive. We are now 10 days away from the end of this contest! If you have ever Kit-Bashed a structure and would like to enter, take up to three photos of the structure you kit bashed and post them here in this thread for your entry. I want people to understand that their Kit-Bash did not need to specifically be built for this contest! On my own layout, I have no less than six structures which would qualify for this contest as being Kit-Bashed, with some of them dating back to the very early 1990s! I say this, not to prove I am an early proponent of Kit-Bashing; but, to point out that structures built long ago, qualify. So, post some photos of what you have done! Good Luck!

My camera skills are at no level to take photos of any of my kit bashed structures. I try to kitbash each of the structures on my layout to some degree. I like how George Sellios adds grills, vents, fans, signage and weathering to his structures. Some of George's structures are made from plastic kits and are highly kit bashed. The Atlas shed seen in many of his photos is highly detailed.

Mark, I am eager to see the results of this contest and who will be the winner of the contest.

Greg

Waupaca One.jpg

The start of the Waupaca Industrial area on the CM&N railroad. The building on the far left was construct from the modular building parts that Walthers once offerred and doesn't appear to be kit bashed, but I'll soon add some fans and venting and a dust collector. A billboard has been added to the roof since the photo was taken. The Atlas Interlocking tower has some minor modifications to its sides that are not in the photograph and has some added details around the building.

Last edited:
There has been a change to rule 8). again!
8). A contestant may enter only one building entry in this contest. If the Judge determines that a contestant has posted multiple entries, none of the entries will be allowed in this contest! (Rule 8 Modified on March 21st, 2019)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back