Kit-Bashing of buildings, Contest announced!!!

O.K. I now understand the FOS is short for FOS Scale Models. This is a manufacturer of wood kits which I had sort of heard of; but, had literally no knowledge of.

The idea behind this contest was to promote Kit-Bashing of structures. I didn't think about the fact that some might think that entering a craftsman type of kit would fit the criteria of the contest. I have made the decision that wood craftsman type kits will not be allowed. I have used what Art Curren did in his book as the criteria and he used plastic kits as the basis for his Kit-Bashes/Kit-Mingles. So, we will stick with only allowing plastic Kits as the bases for this contest. Rule # 9 has been added:

9). Only plastic kits may be used, no craftsman kits allowed (Rule 9 added March 3rd, 2019)

Karl: That older Revell model of the barn was one of my favorite when I was starting out in model railroading. Also the sand station by Revell was well liked.

Thanks.

Here's my 2 cebts. Unfortunately I have not completed it yet. It starte4d out as a DPM ice house kit that I used to turn into a freight station. I needed something for a very small space and the ice house looked like it would work. An extra doorway was added on the right side of the building as well as added platform area. A floor was also added inside the building. I have a Woodland Scenics Warehouse kit with a fork lift and other details to be added if I ever get off of my butt and get it finished.

20180108_171731.jpg

IronBeltKen, nice job and it is easy to see yours is not the stock kit.

Chet, got you in the contest.

Thanks to everyone for their entries.

I'm not going to make this a rule; however, to prove that you have kit bashed something new from a standard kit, please state what kit's where used to produce your structure. IronBeltKen, Chet, Gary B, and kbkchooch, have all done exactly that.

Also, if you feel it is unfair of me to make-up Rule #9, let me know and I will remove Rule #9. This is your contest. However, without Rule #9, I didn't feel that we were comparing Apples to Apples. Building a Craftsman Kit is not in the same vain as what Art Curren's book is all about. Your Call!

Just for the record, and please remember that this is just my observation, I thought that CURT had make modifications and additions to his building? Maybe I am wrong on this statement - Now I can't really remember?
I am just happy that I do NOT have to be the judge in your contest!
I think you better purchase more prizes - they are all deserving!
:eek::p:cool::)

Mark .... Your NP 1800 looks great. .... I certainly hope more people participate here in your thread.

Gary P ... I like your high rise building .

Karl .... The barn looks great !

Chet ..... Teh freight station looks great so far.

Ken .... Your McDonalds brings back good memories.... Very nice !

Here is a kit bashed flour mill ("Micky Mills" ) ...... It is made from three Walthers flour mill kits, and is a background building wrapped around a corner. To the left it has about half of an old IHC factory kit adjoining to it.

35669964532_15fe86a6c0_b.jpg

36382465790_40d34b1fa2_b.jpg

35515461864_e9f09f7271_b.jpg

Last edited:
Just for the record, and please remember that this is just my observation, I thought that CURT had make modifications and additions to his building? Maybe I am wrong on this statement - Now I can't really remember?
I am just happy that I do NOT have to be the judge in your contest!
I think you better purchase more prizes - they are all deserving!
:eek::p:cool::)

Shirrley, yes he did say he modified the buildings. All that is going on here, is I feel Craftsman Kits are in a class all there own. I don't think it would be fair to those who have bashed and entered simple plastic kits (what my contest is all about) with stick built Craftsman kits.

Mark ..... I see your auto correct changed Sherrel's name to Shirley. .... It does that to me also. ........ Thanks for commenting on my pictures.

I suppose I have egg all over my face for making the above decision. Curt removed his photos and did not respond to my note to him explaining why I felt his model did not qualify for my contest. I guess I have to chalk it up to: "Such is Life". Shirley, what do you think? Also, I went to FOS Scale Models and I never could identify the kit that Curt built, possibly it was multiple kits assembled together into one group of buildings. I truly love the craftsman kits and wish I could afford to build a few of them. However, I guess I would rather use the money that these types of kits cost for other endeavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruette, although HO is mentioned in the Prize Book, entries can be any scale! If I can't afford a $225.00 SW1200, how could a afford Participation trophies? However, I feel your pain!

I do realize giving the Book on Kit-Bashing away as a prize, is putting the Cart slightly afore the Horse! Still, I wish all you all the best of luck!
I was only joking Mark, I have never altered any buildings, I am not qualified to enter, but I like the idea!

Ah, now we have a contest.
Garry-That is really a great job and thanks for your comments.
Ken - I woud have thought that was an out of box build if I didn't know better.
Karl - I just built that barn myself so appreciate what you put into it.
Mark - Thanks for hosting this event

As of this date, 3/7/2019, I have five participants in this contest. Anymore takers?

Back