Kato F3 A CB&Q

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Just received this in the mail, my "wife's" Kato F3 A (Kobo Special) with TCS DCC installed:

RhMtu5L.jpg

I also got this for painting engines and cars (kinda engine related)

qc0dy16.jpg

Can someone tell me the "actual colors" used in the CB&Q paint scheme? It seems as though there are two different reds but have not been able to establish the "white", if indeed it is white.

Thanks Kevin. When I looked for the colors I saw the Chinese red and another shade of red also for the CB&Q. Even looking at the engine in person, it was hard to tell what the grey/white color was.

The "Q" (Burlington Route) called their F-units "graybacks"...which doesn't tell you much. To me, they look white, but are slightly off-white. I suspect that whatever gray was in the paint probably faded out with exposure to sun and weather. My main complaint about Kato's Burlington F and E units is...they are in the "wrong" scale, N! And I model in HO! :p

trailrider,

Thanks and I found the CB&Q colors (Chinese Red and CB&Q Grey) in Badger Modelflex paint. As such, have gotten one of each coming my way.

Oh and nope .. they are the precise scale :)

I am surprised they (Kato) didn't make a HO version, seems to me the F7/F3's are pretty popular engines.

I am surprised they (Kato) didn't make a HO version, seems to me the F7/F3's are pretty popular engines.
Technically they did make them. They were made for Stewart Hobbies. For a while they were the most sought after F unit. Original list price had been $60 or so, after they stopped making them (Stewart switched to the Buhler drive), the price for the original Kato powered ones on the 2nd hand market soared to $240+. I assume originally there was some sort of non-competition agreement, but one would think that would have expired a while back. But then Kato has never been consistent with their HO offerings, especially after the GP35 gremlins. It tainted their reputation. They will do a few HO and then retreat back to N-scale for a long while.

Last edited:
Kato does seem to focus on N Scale. I'm guessing that the Japanese possibly don't have the same amount of room to play with as other countries might; as such, Kato caters to their situation which is fair.

Back