Kadee Trucks and Replacing The Trucks Springs

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Yesterday when I was attempting to remove wheel sets form a Kadee strung truck, the truck came apart and the two small springs came loose. Is there an easy way to replace these springs without loosing several hundred of them while trying to replace the two originals.

I know how to replace replace Kadee coupler springs, but never had to do a Kadee truck spring replacement.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
I usually assemble the cross bar and one side frame with springs. Then get the wheel sets lined up and put on the other side frame. Put small rubber bands on both ends to hold the truck together. Then install the other 2 springs. If you lay the springs flat and use an Xacto blade at one end of the spring. Slide the blade in the spring at the end where the coils are tight. Line it up in the side frame and use the blade to compress the spring as you slide it in. I usually do this on a big sheet of thing foam so when the springs fly they dont bounce. Good Luck!

you can use an xacto knife blade, or the same tool as for #5's and such ... they are too stiff to actually do anything, but ??

I have used the Kadee spring tool, an xacto knife blade and even an extremely small screw driver. VERY CAREFULLY. I do this inside a plastic bag in case the spring decides to take a trip.

I don't use Sprung Trucks, never felt they where necessary; or, needed. Somebody of course will disagree with me; however, my fleet of Freight and Passenger cars numbering close to two hundred with no sprung trucks amongst them will disagree with them! I also feel that the tiny diameter material that the springs are made from is not very realistic. So, in the end, I don't buy sprung trucks and when something I buy comes with them, they get tossed in the trash and they are replaced with solid trucks. This is not knocking anyone who uses sprung trucks it is simply an expression of my view point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Kadee spring tool, an xacto knife blade and even an extremely small screw driver. VERY CAREFULLY. I do this inside a plastic bag in case the spring decides to take a trip.

Dang, CHET -- In all my years, I never thought about that - reminds me that I have to go search the garage floor for the small screw that goes in the end of the Dremel sanding drum that "flew away" two days ago!

On cabooses, the sprung trucks can be altered by removing the Kadee springs and installing leaf springs like the prototype.

IMAG0267.jpg

I generally don't use sprung trucks, but the CenterLine Track cleaning cars came with the sprung trucks installed.

Other than on contest quality models I see no advantage to using sprung trucks.

Chet:
Good idea about using a plastic bag to save the springs.

Greg

I don't own anything with sprung trucks. But I have read on this and other forums, as well as in books; and have heard in person, that sprung trucks are overrated, unnecessary, unreliable, unrealistic and not worth the trouble. Again, not owning any I cannot vouch for this information, but where there's smoke, there must be fire!

you can get packs of 100 springs on ebay ...
they are a little heavier than #5 springs, but seem to be the same as sprung trucks ..
i got a few of them a couple of years back ..

I read a trick here on the Forum about replacing a coupler spring -- it might work on your sprung trucks...

Put a SMALL drop of Elmer's White Glue on one of the posts. Let it dry for a minute or two, to let it get "tacky". Then place one end of the spring on the post and into the white glue. Let dry thoroughly. Then, with the glue holding one end of the spring in place, gently compress the spring and attach it to the post on the other end.

It works WONDERS for Kadee coupler springs. I can't tell you how many Kadee couplers springs I've had take off into another dimension, never to be seen again... but I've yet to lose even ONE with the "white glue trick"!

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Back