Just Starting on This New Adventur

gngsquared

Hello.

I am in the Richmond, VA area and have been lurking on this site for a while now trying to soak up all the information that I can. I have found that there is a LOT of knowledgeable friendly people here and I plan on making use of every bit of it. I was born in WV, small coal mining unincorporated town, and my family moved to south Florida when I was only three. We visited family in WV every year and I was always intrigued with the long, long coal trains that went through in front of my Grandparent's house. My Grandfather actually worked on the Cass Railroad when he was a young man and I visited there with my father several years ago before he passed. Since south Florida did not have a lot of railroad activity back in the 1960's when I grew up I do not have a lot of personal experience with railroading. Just those summer memories in Cabin Creek, WV.

So, why model railroading? I have acquired many skills over the years. Electrical, mechanical, drafting, photography, woodworking, construction, and others (mostly things the wife doesn't know about). I use to construct dioramas for military models that I built and enjoyed the activity, but I want something more, something that offers a challenge for my skillset. I feel model railroading fills that bill and more.

I have a lot of space to use, 25'x30' in the basement man-cave. Since my personal experience is limited I plan to build a design that incorporates the WV mountains, coal mining, and logging. All of these areas are homage to my family roots. It won't be a prototype set but I plan to make it as realistic as possible. I have several plans that I am working on and would like to base it on the transition period. I would like to have a longish line and several yards and mine/logging elements.

OK, I'm done. Glad to be here and will be as active as I can. Thanks to all in advance for the answers to the many questions I will have.

Back