Just Learning Layout Software

Emperor of the North

while I was playing around with Anyrail software (not that impressed after using AutoCad programs of various brands), I used up my 50 pieces of track pretty quickly so I had to pay $50 for a license which also unlocks a few functions of the program which you don't get with the trial (free) program. I designed a layout with a double oval type spread with a few turnouts and siding areas to play on while my other trains go around in circles. The inner oval has 18" radii ends which will be fine for my 4 axle Loco's and the outer oval has 26" radii curves which I can run my nearly 1 foot long SD-60M's. The layout covers about 6' x 9' and has a fair amount of room for some industrial buildings, loading docks etc etc..... I may or may not build it but it was really a building exercise to learn the software. What I really wanted to say was that the Libraries are kinda limited (I'm used to the Electrical components in my Circuit board building Libraries which number in the 10,000's) and once you select a track brand (Bachmann E-Z track in THIS case), with 35-40 track manufacturers and once I chose Bachmann, there is a choice of about 55-60 track piece part numbers (turn outs, curve pieces, rerailers/terminal straights etc....) to build your rail system with. I'd post a pic of it but have not figured out how to yet. Anyway, as you build your rail system, you get a bill of materials with description/part numbers to assist you in getting your drawing into a real layout. The cost of track parts?????? $850 for my first try. Could probably get the price down by shopping hard. Also, I could find no way to build roads through my yard but I am downloading the Objects Library so I'll see what's in it. I'll keep playing and see what I can learn. I'll also learn how to lay a piece of flex track to see if the PECO stuff saves any money. The Bachmann E-Z is expensive but with the roadbed attached already makes for a nice looking track system without the need for the BS slurry some are pouring on their board.... Where do you draw the line in "Life Like" settings??? Even my Inflate-A-Date looks OK in dim lighting... I just want to have fun not fool somebody into thinking I have a REAL Railroad in my Rec Room...

After some experimentation, I may come to like it (AnyRail).

Back