Just bought one of these ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
For a long time people have said you need a set of Calipers so, I finally bought myself a set:

xSwoBl4.jpg

0-6" Stainless Steel Digital Caliper from Graingers

Chet,

Well, people have been saying I need a set or, more to the point, that they are needed for this hobby. I certainly don't have any regrets about buying them,; although, they wern't the cheapest thing I've ever bought in terms of tools.

Mike,

Yep - NOW I can make sure that the Salt shaker is EXACTLY 5.57489 mm from the Pepper Shaker and that, according to my wife at least, is essential! :)

Have had a dial one for several years - just purchased a digital one a few months ago.
So far I still like the dial one the best; however, the digital has both inches and mm readings - which is a big help to me as I am not very well versed in the mm world.

Looks like the same as I have. Reads inches, MM, and fractions. Excellent caliper.
I sold most of my measuring instruments when I retired about 7 years ago. Some, like the calipers, I should have kept.

All I know is on the Grainger website it was listed under General Calipers. That could well be the make as every other make was also listed with the calipers they sold. Yep, reads all of those things so think I should never be needing another.

Have had a dial one for several years - just purchased a digital one a few months ago.
So far I still like the dial one the best; however, the digital has both inches and mm readings - which is a big help to me as I am not very well versed in the mm world.

My dial caliper has both inch and mm measurements on the dial.

Tony,

A few examples of the practical applications of calipers in model railroading would be helpful. By the way, have you bought those airline tickets to Ireland yet?! :)

Last edited:
Tony,

A few examples of how calipers are useful in model railroading would be helpful. By the way, have you bought those airline tickets to Ireland yet?! :)

It's simply a measuring tool that's a hundred times more precise than using a straight ruler, and you can also measure inside and outside dimensions of parts.

GNMT76,

My main use of them (calipers) is to get accurate widths and lengths for the pieces I need/want to cut. I'm sure there is a multitude of other uses though.

Ahh, nope not yet - one of these days I'll get back to Ireland though :)

Back